Subject: [DMM] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 06:16:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Distributed Mobility Management Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Requirements of distributed mobility management
	Author(s)       : H Anthony Chan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2012-07-06

Abstract:
   The traditional hierarchical structure of cellular networks has led
   to deployment models which are heavily centralized.  Mobility
   management with centralized mobility anchoring in existing
   hierarchical mobile networks is quite prone to suboptimal routing and
   issues related to scalability.  Centralized functions present a
   single point of failure, and inevitably introduce longer delays and
   higher signaling loads for network operations related to mobility
   management.  This document defines the requirements for distributed
   mobility management for IPv6 deployment.  The objectives are to match
   the mobility deployment with the current trend in network evolution,
   to improve scalability, to avoid single point of failure, to enable
   transparency to upper layers only when needed, etc.  The distributed
   mobility management also needs to be compatible with existing network
   deployments and end hosts, and be secured.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dmm-requirements

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Keshav.A.K. <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:41:51 +0530

Hi,

I have one basic question about thinking process going on this these days
...
There is a global Trend to 'Centralized the Controlling Function' by 'SDNC
concept' which can be used to program network/Nodes ...
Conversely there is thinking process going on to distribute the existing
'Centralized Functionality'.

I there is strong requirement to converge these thinking process.

keshava

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 6:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [DMM] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Distributed Mobility Management Working
Group of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
dmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dmm

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:37:00 +0000

Hi,

IMU, the requirement here is the separation of the control and data planes, i.e. what we called partial distribution; SDN is part of the solution but I'm not sure we have a new requirement.

BR,
Pierrick  

> -----Message d'origine-----
> De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de
> Keshav.A.K.
> Envoyé : vendredi 13 juillet 2012 07:12
> À : [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Objet : Re: [DMM] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dmm-requirements-00.txt
> 
> Hi,
> 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:50:19 +0300

> I there is strong requirement to converge these thinking process.

While SDNs, SNDPs etc are interesting and partially may overlap conceptually
I think there is no requirement or even a need trying to mate these two
together in a DMM solution requirement level. SDN technologies can well be
applied in the implementation space, though.

- Jouni

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:16:44 -0700

Hello folks,

I'm not sure that SDN considerations are a requirement for DMM,
but I am sure that we should at least allow the discussion.

One possibility would be that SDNC would collect information
from DMM, and influence the distribution of mobility anchors.
That's got to be relevant.

Regards,
Charlie P.

-- 
Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: jouni korhonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:15:59 +0300

Charlie,

> but I am sure that we should at least allow the discussion.

Discussion is always welcome.

> That's got to be relevant.

Indeed. And that is what I referred with "implementation space"
note. However, that is not something to be considered on a
requirement level for DMM imho.

- Jouni