Subject: [dns-dir] Google's IPv6 plans

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 08:37:55 -0500

http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/

The interesting point is that they will return AAAA records for DNS
queries (like www.google.com) if the requesting IP address is
"approved", i.e., is known to have good IPv6 connectivity.

They are trying to solve a real problem (don't put AAAA into the DNS
if it diminishes service to existing customers), but they are doing so
in a way that arguably takes two-faced DNS to another level, and
further blurs the notion of a single global name space.

Thomas
_______________________________________________
dns-dir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:15:25 +0200

Yeah. This is in use in Free.fr, I think.

I agree with the points you are making, but my understanding is that not 
only is this done for IPv6's sake, but its already being done for other 
reasons, like localization.

Jari