Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-ma-sipping-server-event-package-00.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 14:30:02 -0400

Count:       24 Network Working Group                                            Tao. Ma 
Internet-Draft                                                Lichun. Li 
Intended status: Informational                           Chunhong. Zhang 
Expires: Nov 18, 2009                                           Yang. Ji 
                                                           Xiaofeng. Qiu 
              MINE lab,Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunication 
                                                            May 25, 2009

              A SIP server event package for SIP server farm 
                 draft-ma-sipping-server-event-package-00

 Abstract
   This document defines the Session Initiation  Protocol (SIP) server 
   even package for SIP server farm using the SIP event framework. The 
   SIP server event package allows  clients to  subscribe to  the 
   servers for server  information in the server farm, and  serves 
   to communicate information with each other.  Based on this, an 
   overall view of the SIP server farm is built and delivered  to the 
   entity  (including SIP phone proxy or other SIP servers) which 
   subscribes and  receives the event packages. The view would help 
   failover and load balancing in the server farm. The event 
   notification mechanism of SIP event framework guarantees its 
   adaption to the dynamic changes of server state.  We instantiate 
   the usage of SIP server event package in three scenarios: client 
   based failover,  DNS based  failover, load  balancer based load 
   balancing.  To be added, we introduce some specific usage 
   in Peer-to-Peer SIP(P2PSIP) and service discovery to expand and 
   explore the potential usage space. Compared with the failover and 
   load balancing mechanisms in traditional SIP, the new SIP event 
   package would apply its explicit and dynamic notification mechanism 
   to improve the efficiency and service availability of SIP server 
   farm.

   This mechanism using server event package can also be a complementary 
   way for the  DNS functionality  defined in  RFC 3263[RFC 3263] to 
   locate SIP servers.