Subject: [dns-dir] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation (shim6)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:37:00 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation
(shim6) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Site Multihoming by IPv6
Intermediation (shim6) working group in the Internet Area of the IETF. 
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is
provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, June 30,
2009.

Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation (shim6)
===============================================

Last Modified: 2009-06-17

Current Status: Active Working Group 

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/shim6

Chair(s):
Kurt Lindqvist
Geoff Huston 

Internet Area Director(s):
Ralph Droms
Jari Arkko 

Internet Area Advisor:
Jari Arkko 

Technical Advisor(s):
Thomas Narten 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/shim6
Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/shim6/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

Earlier efforts in this working group completed the Shim6 protocol
specification, documented in RFCs 5533 through 5535. This protocol is a
layer 3 shim for providing locator agility with failover capabilities
for IPv6 nodes. Hosts that employ Shim6 use multiple IPv6 address
prefixes and setup state with peer hosts. This state can later be used
to failover to a different set of locators, should the original locators
stop working.

The Shim6 approach has a number of advantages, such as enabling small
sites to be multihomed without requiring a provider independent IPv6
address prefix for the site. But the approach has also been criticized,
e.g., for the operational impacts that the use of multiple prefixes
causes. At this time there is no clear view on how well Shim6 works in
practice. Implementation and deployment in select networks is needed to
determine its true characteristics.

The Shim6 working group is chartered to track the implementation and
testing or deployment efforts. The group is also expected to shepherd to
completion a few remaining informational documents that complement the
existing protocol specifications.

The specific work items of the group are:

o Write an implementation and/or deployment experience report.

o Specify socket API extensions. This API enables interactions between
applications and the Shim6 layer for advanced locator management, and
access to information about failure detection and path exploration. It
also enables some applications to turn Shim6 off.

o Complete the work on the applicability draft. This draft explains in
detail in which types of networks Shim6 is applicable, and what its
advantages and disadvantages are. The draft will also explain how
firewalls are impacted by the use of Shim6. Finally, the draft will also
explain how Shim6 can be used in situations where native IPv6
connectivity is not available, such as using
Shim6 over 6to4.

The group will also work in co-operation with the 6MAN working group as
they continue their efforts in improving IPv6 address selection
mechanisms.

The group shall not work on extensions to the Shim6 protocol itself at
this time. However, new work items can be added through rechartering as
others get completed.

Goals and Milestones:

Sep 2009 Next revision of the API document Nov 2009 First WG draft on an
implementation report Jan 2010 Submit API document to IESG for
publication as Informational RFC Jan 2010 Next revision of the
applicability document Dec 2010 Submit implementation report to IESG for
publication as Informational RFC Dec 2010 Submit applicability document
to IESG for publication as Informational RFC Dec 2010 Close or
re-charter