Subject: [dns-dir] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:37:12 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Diameter Maintenance and Extensions
(dime) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Diameter Maintenance and
Extensions (dime) working group in the Operations and Management Area of
the IETF.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The modified
charter is provided below for informational purposes only.  Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, June
30, 2009.

Diameter Maintenance and Extensions (dime)
===========================================

Last Modified: 2009-06-10

Current Status: Working Group

Chair(s):
 Hannes Tschofenig
 Victor Fajardo 

Operations and Management Area Director(s):
 Dan Romascanu
 Ronald Bonica 

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
 Dan Romascanu 

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dime
 Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dime/current/maillist.html

Description of Working Group:

The Diameter Maintenance and Extensions WG will focus on maintenance and
extensions to the Diameter protocol required to enable its use for
authentication, authorization, accounting and provisioning in network
access as well as for other applications environments (e.g., IP
telephony, mobility).

The IETF has completed work on the Diameter Base protocol and is working
on revising the base protocol specification. There is on-going work on
defining RADIUS extensions and the DIME WG will ensure that work done in
RADEXT is also available for Diameter.

The DIME working group plains to address the following items:

- Maintaining and/or progressing, along the standards track, the
Diameter Base protocol and Diameter Applications. This includes
extensions to Diameter Base protocol that can be considered as enhanced
features or bug fixes, such NAI routing or capability update extensions.

- Diameter application design guideline. This document will provide
guidelines for design of Diameter extensions. It will detail when to
consider reusing an existing application and when to develop a new
application.

- Diameter QoS extensions. This work focuses on extensions to Diameter
to support QoS information to be authorized and provisioned in AAA
deployments.

- Protocol extensions for the management of Diameter entities. This work

focuses on the standardization of Management Information Bases (MIBs) to
configure Diameter entities (such as the Diameter Base protocol or
Diameter Credit Control nodes). The usage of other management protocols
for configuring Diameter entities may be future work within the group.

- Diameter extensions for mobility protocols, such as Mobile IPv6 and
Proxy Mobile IPv6. Diameter extensions to support handover keying
developed in the HOKEY WG are part of this effort.

- New Diameter applications, such as the Diameter NAT control
application.
This group will also conduct work on new Diameter applications with a
Diameter application for configuring NATs as the first item.

Additionally, AAA systems require interoperability in order to work.
The working group, along with the AD, will need to evaluate any
potential extensions and require verification that the proposed
extension is needed. Coordination with other IETF working groups and
other SDOs will used to ensure this.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit 'Diameter Mobile IPv6: Support for Home Agent to Diameter
Server Interaction' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done Submit 'Diameter Mobile IPv6: Support for Network Access Server to
Diameter Server Interaction' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard Done Submit 'Diameter API' to the IESG for consideration as an
Informational RFC Done Submit 'Quality of Service Parameters for Usage
with Diameter' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Nov 2009 Submit 'Revision of Diameter Base Protocol' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard Done Submit 'Diameter QoS
Application' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard Done
Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol' as DIME
working group item Done Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based
Request Routing Clarifications' as DIME working group item Done Submit
'Diameter Proxy Mobile IPv6' as DIME working group item Done Submit
'Quality of Service Attributes for Diameter' to the IESG for
consideration as a Proposed Standard Aug 2009 Submit 'Diameter
Application Design Guidelines'
to the IESG for consideration as a BCP document Done Submit 'Diameter
Proxy Mobile IPv6' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done Submit 'Diameter User-Name and Realm Based Request Routing
Clarifications' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard Jan
2010 Submit 'Diameter Support for EAP Re-authentication Protocol' to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard Jun 2009 Submit new DIME
charter to the IESG Jun 2009 Submit 'Updated IANA Considerations for
Diameter Command Code Allocations' as DIME working group item Jul 2009
Submit 'Updated IANA Considerations for Diameter Command Code
Allocations' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard Jul
2009 Submit 'Diameter NAT Control Application' as DIME working group
item Jul 2009 Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' as DIME working
group item Nov 2009 Submit ' Diameter Credit Control Application MIB' to
the IESG for consideration as an Informational RFC Nov 2009 Submit
'Diameter Base Protocol MIB' to the IESG for consideration as an
Informational RFC Nov 2009 Submit 'Diameter Capabilities Update' to the
IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard Jan 2010 Submit 'Diameter
NAT Control Application' to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard