Subject: [dns-dir] FW: WG Review: Recharter of DNS Extensions (dnsext)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:07:35 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of DNS Extensions (dnsext) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the DNS Extensions (dnsext)
working group in the Internet Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made
any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, July 14, 2009.

DNS Extensions Working group (dnsext)
----------------------------------------

Last Modified: 2009-06-24

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Director(s):
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>

Internet Area Advisor:
Ralph Droms <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked] To Subscribe:
[email-masked]
Archive: http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/

Description of Working Group:

The DNS has a large installed base and repertoire of protocol
specifications. The DNSEXT WG group will actively advance DNS
protocol-related RFCs on the standards track while thoroughly reviewing
further proposed extensions. The scope of the DNSEXT WG is confined to
the DNS protocol, particularly changes that affect DNS protocols "on the
wire" or the internal processing of DNS data. DNS operations are out of
scope for the WG.

The WG will limit itself to review of proposals for new extensions and
clarification to the DNS protocol, including DNSSEC. Adoption of new
work targeted for standards track will require changes to this charter.

The working group can nevertheless undertake work in following subjects
without a charter change:
	DNSSEC and TSIG/TKEY algorithm maintenance
	Hardening DNS protocol and providing guidance to implementors
	Examining transport protocols possibly adding new ones.
	Advancing existing Proposed Standard RFCs to Draft/Full Standard
	Obsoleting RFCs.

Before formal adoption of any such items at least 5 working group
participants must publicly state that the item is within charter and is
worthwhile item for further study.

The DNSEXT WG will conduct the specified RFC5395 review of RR templates
as they are posted, and EDNS0 Option templates if EDNS0-bis updates
registration requirements.

The WG will review DNS protocol related work which may originate
elsewhere in the IETF, including AD-sponsored submissions or drafts in
other working group. The WG does not intend to hold face to face
meetings, though may do so if deemed necessary for resolution of a
specific issue at hand. 

Milestones:
Jul  2009  TSIG/MD5 Obsoleting to IESG. 
Jul  2009  RSA/SHA256 to IESG. 
Aug  2009  AXFR Clarify  to IESG.
Sep  2009  EDNS0 Ping Option advanced to IESG Oct  2009  Resolver side
Forgery Resilience advanced to IESG Oct  2009  DNSSEC Errata document to
IESG Nov  2009  GOST DNSKEY and DS support advanced to IESG Dec  2009
EDNS0-bis update advanced to IESG Feb  2010  DNS existing transport
protocol recommendations/clarifications to IESG Jun  2010  DNS <new>
transport protocol specification