Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-01.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:30:06 -0400

Count:       23 

Internet Engineering Task Force                           A. Durand, Ed.
Internet-Draft                                                   Comcast
Intended status: Standards Track                           July 11, 2009
Expires: January 12, 2010

       Dual-stack lite broadband deployments post IPv4 exhaustion
                 draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-01

 Abstract
   The common thinking for more than 10 years has been that the
   transition to IPv6 will be based on the dual stack model and that
   most things would be converted this way before we ran out of IPv4.

   It has not happened.  The IANA free pool of IPv4 addresses will be
   depleted soon, well before any significant IPv6 deployment will have
   occurred.

   This document revisits the dual-stack model and introduces the dual-
   stack lite technology aimed at better aligning the costs and benefits
   of deploying IPv6.  Dual-stack lite will provide the necessary bridge
   between the two protocols, offering an evolution path of the Internet
   post IANA IPv4 depletion.

   Dual-Stack lite enable a brodband service provider to share IPv4
   addresses among customers by combining two well-known technologies:
   IP in IP (IPv4/IPv6) and NAT.