Subject: [dns-dir] Fwd: DNSSEC at the Root: Requirements Document

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:47:42 +0200

Folk,

I received the note below on what I believe is personal title.

I don't think that the IETF should do a formal review (we are not  
asked) but it would be good if some of us take an in-depth look so  
that at least we can tell the key IETF folk have had a look at this  
when asked.

I feel I can share this with you based on the final paragraph of  
Ashleys note.

--Olaf

BTW Do we have a dinner?

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Ashley Heineman" <[email-masked]>
> Date: 10 juli 2009 15:54:07 GMT+02:00
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: DNSSEC at the Root: Requirements Document
>
> Dear Olaf,
>
> As you are probably aware, NTIA and its root zone management partners
> -- ICANN and VeriSign -- announced their intention to implement DNSSEC
> at the root zone level.  Background on this decision can be found in  
> the
> attached presentation that was given at the recent ICANN meeting in
> Sydney.
>
> Moving forward, NTIA is committed to consulting with the Internet
> technical community as testing and implementation plans are developed.
> In keeping with this commitment, please find the attached initial  
> set of
> testing and implementation requirements.  These requirements are
> intended to form the basis of testing and implementation plans that  
> will
> be developed jointly by ICANN and VeriSign.
>
> As a member of the technical community, we would appreciate any
> comments and/or input from you on the attached requirements.  Please
> note that ICANN and VeriSign are already in the process of developing
> more detailed testing and implementation plans, so any input you may
> have on the requirements would be greatly appreciated within the next
> week if possible.
>
> NTIA envisions this informal consultation to be an ongoing effort.  In
> the following months, NTIA -- in cooperation with ICANN and VeriSign  
> --
> will continue to seek feedback/input from you and others in the
> community as testing and implementation plans are developed.
>
> Thank you in advance for your review of the attached requirements
> document.  Please feel free to share this document with your  
> colleagues
> and to direct any input and/or questions to me (contact details  
> below).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ashley Heineman
> DNSSEC Program Manager
> National Telecommunications and Information Administration
> U.S. Department of Commerce
> Tel: 202-482-0298
> Fax: 202-482- 1865
> email: [email-masked]
>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:26:09 -0400

> BTW Do we have a dinner?

Yes.  Thursday evening.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Roy Arends <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:53:36 +0200

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 03:47:42PM +0200, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

Apologies, I have to excuse myself from the DNS-DIR dinner, as I'm  
representing Nominet during the OpenDNSSEC technology preview party on  
that same thursday.

Kind regards,

Roy Arends

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 06:44:02 +0200

On 22 jul 2009, at 23.53, Roy Arends wrote:

> representing Nominet during the OpenDNSSEC technology preview party  
> on that same thursday.

It looks like if I have conflicting issue as well, and I don't I  
probably "have to" be at the same OpenDNSSEC thing Roy talk about.

    paf

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 06:57:31 +0200

> probably "have to" be at the same OpenDNSSEC thing Roy talk about.

1++, NLnet Labs is part of the OpenDNSSEC development consortium, this  
is a dayjob thing I have to show up at.

--Olaf

---

From: Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:48:14 -0400

> is a dayjob thing I have to show up at.

...and I'm leaving Thursday morning.  Apologies from me, too.

Matt

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 16:31:43 +0200

> ...and I'm leaving Thursday morning.  Apologies from me, too.

so, I've now seen 4 apologies for Thursday evening.  Other people might
have an invitation to the OpenDNSSEC festivities, too.  With that, we're
probably left with four options, two of which aren't really promising:

1) still have a DNS Directorate dinner on Thursday
2) move the dinner to tomorrow, Wednesday (note: I haven't even checked
   my own calendar)
3) find another time slot during meeting hours
4) no meeting at IETF 75

How many of you would be available on either Wed or Thu for a directorate
dinner? Please let me know in private email, I'll summarize.

-Peter {your disorganized secretary}

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:39:32 -0400

At 10:31 28/07/2009, Peter Koch wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>dns-dir mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

I conflict on Wed and got invited to the OpenDNSSEC party but will skip
that for DNS-dir.

Here is a doodle page to mark your availability
http://www.doodle.com/58xq67z9dd469utu

         Olafur

         Olafur

---

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:41:17 +0200

> http://www.doodle.com/58xq67z9dd469utu

I'm just now speaking with Anne-Marie Eklund-Löwinder at .SE, and she
graciously extended the invitation to the OpenDNSSEC thing to all of
the DNSDIR (many of you seem to already be invited). I doubt we'll
find a quiet corner there, but we might be able to have a quick chat,
which could be a compromise, given that only few of us are able to
make a separate dinner.

If you want to go for that, go to the .SE T-shirt desk to claim your
ticket. Use "DNS directorate" as the secret pass phrase, if you don't
have an invitiation of your own.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:52:44 +0200

> which could be a compromise, given that only few of us are able to

thanks, Liman, for taking the initiative.  The private replies I received
(thanks) as well as the doodle poll set up by Olafur don't look promising
for either dinner (today or tomorrow).  There is some chance we could
meet in Thursday's morning session slot, but time might be too short to
get more commitment and a room.  I'd therefore support your suggestion.
Apologies for not sending out reminders for the DNS Dir Dinner early enough.

-Peter

---

From: "Lars-Johan Liman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:21:50 +0200

>  Apologies for not sending out reminders for the DNS Dir Dinner early

OK, see (as many as possible of) you at the OpenDNSSEC reception!

Cheers,
  /Liman