Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-boucadair-behave-dns-a64-00.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:30:01 -0400

Count:       41 

Network Working Group                                       M. Boucadair
Internet-Draft                                                 E. Burgey
Intended status: Standards Track                          France Telecom
Expires: April 22, 2010                                 October 19, 2009

         A64: DNS Resource Record for IPv4-mapped IPv6 Address
                   draft-boucadair-behave-dns-a64-00

 Abstract
   In this context of IPv4-IPv6 interconnection, several solutions have
   been proposed.  Some of these solutions require the definition of a
   new IPv4-mapped IPv6 address [I-D.ietf-behave-address-format] which
   is used to represent an IPv4-only host in an IPv6 realms and the
   definition of a new mechanism called DNS64 for synthesizing a AAAA
   record, representing an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address in the DNS system,
   from the A record representing the IPv4 address of the IPv4-only host
   [I-D.ietf-behave-dns64].  This IPv4-mapped IPv6 address, when managed
   by a translator, is to be considered as "fake" address in a DNS
   system since it is not necessarily assigned to any host's interface
   qualified by the associated name.  This document defines a new DNS
   record type and query type to identify IPv4-mapped IPv6 address
   [I-D.ietf-behave-address-format] from native IPv6 ones.  The new
   record type and query type aim at helping the remote party to enforce
   its policies and avoid NAT64 boxes when possible.  Native addresses
   are to be preferred.