Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-cui-softwire-pet64-00.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:30:06 -0400

Count:       48 

Network Working Group                                             Y. Cui
Internet-Draft                                                     M. Xu
Intended status: Standards Track                                 S. Wang
Expires: April 4, 2010                                             X. Li
                                                                   J. Wu
                                                     Tsinghua University
                                                                 C. Metz
                                                           Cisco systems
                                                               Oct. 2009

                   PET for IPv6 to IPv4 communication
                    draft-cui-softwire-pet64-00.txt

 Abstract
   This draft offers a solution using PET for the scenario that an IPv6-
   only client initiates a communication to an IPv4-only server through
   IPv6 backbone.  In this communication scenario,translation is needed.
   However, translation work has requirements on the performance
   (hardware or software) of PET and the size of network that the PET is
   charge for.  This draft introduces the concept of translation
   preference to express the PET's willing of performing translation
   according to some policies the network administrators constitute.
   Through exchanging the Translation preference among PETs, PET
   framework can decide which PET should act as a translator.  In
   addition, this draft also gives how the PET collaborates with DNS to
   solve the IPv6-to-IPv4 communication problem.