Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-01.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:30:02 -0400

Count:       23 

ALTO                                                           S. Kiesel
Internet-Draft                                           NEC Europe Ltd.
Intended status: Informational                                  M. Tomsu
Expires: April 29, 2010                         Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs
                                                        October 26, 2009

                   Third-party ALTO server discovery
                      draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-01

 Abstract
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   provide guidance to applications, which have to select one or several
   hosts from a set of candidates, that are able to provide a desired
   resource.

   This document describes why a third-party ALTO server discovery
   mechanism is required for an important class of applications, namely
   tracker-based P2P applications.  Several solution approaches are
   classified and evaluated.  The conclusion is that further work is
   required to standardize a protocol and procedures that follow one
   specific approach.