Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-00.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:30:04 -0400

Count:       13  

Behave                                                      B. Huang
Internet-Draft                                               H. Deng
Obsoletes: 2767 (if approved)                           China Mobile
Intended status: Experimental                          T. Savolainen
Expires: April 21, 2010                                        Nokia
                                                    October 18, 2009

     Dual Stack Hosts using the "Bump-In-the-Stack" Technique (BIS)
                    draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-00

 Abstract
   This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Stack" (BIS) host based
   protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
   only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
   reachable or supporting only the other address family. Furthermore,
   this technology avoids need for unnecessary double protocol
   translation in the case where destination is dual-stack enabled.

   This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
   stack, IPv6 only or IPv4 only network connectivity. In the dual stack
   network case, single address family applications in the host will
   communicate directly with other hosts reachable with the same address
   family. In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination,
   IPv4-originated communications have to be be translated into IPv6.
   IPv6 communications may have to translated similarly to IPv4. In the
   scenario of single address family access network, but dual-stack
   destination, network based translation is always avoided.
   Technically, the BIS-enabled host resolves both IPv4 and IPv6
   addresses of the destination and behaves according to received
   responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

   This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
   TSUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI's [RFC2767],
   which similarly provides a dual stack host means to communicate with
   other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The original document
   was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

   The changes in this document reflect three components:

   1. Supporting IPv6 only network connections

   2. Supporting IPv4 only network connections

   3. Supporting Well Known Prefix