Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-00.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:30:03 -0400

Count:       15  

Behave                                                      B. Huang
Internet-Draft                                               H. Deng
Obsoletes: 3338 (if approved)                           China Mobile
Intended status: Experimental                          T. Savolainen
Expires: April 22, 2010                                        Nokia
                                                    October 19, 2009

             Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-API" (BIA)
                    draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-00

 Abstract
   This document describes the "Bump-In-the-API" (BIA) host based
   protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
   only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
   reachable or supporting only the other address family. 

   This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
   stack, IPv6 only or IPv4 only network connectivity. In the dual stack
   network case, single address family applications in the host will
   communicate directly with other hosts using the same address family.
   In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination, IPv4-
   originated communications have to be be translated into IPv6. IPv6
   communications may have to translated similarly to IPv4. Technically,
   the BIS-enabled host resolves both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the
   destination and behaves according to received responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

   This document is an update to and directly derivative from Seungyun
   Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and Erik Nordmark's
   [RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host means to
   communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The
   original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

   The changes in this document reflect three components:

   1. Supporting IPv6 only network connections

   2. Supporting IPv4 only network connections

   3. Supporting Well Known Prefix

   4. Removing Applicability and Disclaimer

   The goal of this mechanism is the same as that of the Bump-in-the-
   stack mechanism, but this mechanism provides the translation method
   between the IPv4 APIs and IPv6 APIs.  Thus, the goal is simply
   achieved without IP header translation.