Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Early Warn: draft-perkins-sourceipnat-01.txt

From: Olafur_DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:30:02 -0400

Count:       12 

behave Working Group                                     C. Perkins, Ed.
Internet-Draft                                             WiChorus Inc.
Intended status: Standards Track                        October 12, 2009
Expires: April 15, 2010

         Translating IPv4 to IPv6 based on source IPv4 address
                      draft-perkins-sourceipnat-01

 Abstract
   A method is proposed to enable communications between an IPv4-only
   node in today's Internet and an IPv6-only node, initiated by the
   IPv4-only node.  The communication depends on allocation of a flow
   record and address triggered by a DNS query received for the target
   v6-only node.  DNS query conventions can be agreed upon to provide a
   natural model for resolving IPv4 queries for IPv6-only nodes.  The
   NAT mechanism proposed demultiplexes multiple sessions through the
   same dynamically allocated IP address, using flow records matching
   the source address of incoming packets.  This is in contrast to the
   use of ports in NAT-PT boxes, which inhibits the support of incoming
   traffic towards a node behind the NAT-PT.