Subject: [dns-dir] DNS-EW: draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-00.txt

From: DNS_EARLY_WARNING <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:40:01 -0500

Count:      177 

Internet Engineering Task Force                            T. Savolainen
Internet-Draft                                                     Nokia
Intended status: Standards Track                                 J. Kato
Expires: July 17, 2011                                               NTT
                                                        January 13, 2011

          Improved DNS Server Selection for Multi-Homed Nodes
                 draft-ietf-mif-dns-server-selection-00

 Abstract

   A multi-homed node can be connected to multiple networks that may
   utilize different DNS namespaces.  The node often receives DNS server
   configuration information from all connected networks.  Some of the
   DNS servers may have information about namespaces other servers do
   not have.  When the multi-homed node needs to utilize DNS, it has to
   choose which of the servers to contact to.  This document describes a
   policy based method for helping on selection of DNS server for both
   forward and reverse DNS lookup procedures with help of DNS suffix and
   IPv6 prefix information received via DHCPv6.