Subject: [dns-dir] DNS Dir Meeting in Prague?

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:03:20 +0100

Dear DNS Directorate,

the DNS Directorate might want to meet in Prague. The doodle poll
gives breakfast, lunch and dinner slots for the whole week, since
both DNS WGs will meet really late this time.

	<http://www.doodle.com/m42s4ay75vh7b4cu>

If you are not going to attend IETF80, please let me know off list (or
in the doodle, if you wish).

The main agenda item probably is "status/mission or future/dissolution
of the DNS Directorate".  I'll volunteer to collect more topics.
Also, if the ADs would like us to look at specific WGs, WG items or BOFs
during the week, let's try to coordinate that beforehand.

Best regards,
    Peter

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 23:23:51 +0100

Dear DNS Directorate,

now that both DNS WGs have been finally scheduled, I'd like to bring the
open doodle poll to everybody's attention again.  We have feedback from
six of sixteen members so far:

Please have a look and fill in the form so we can try to schedule a
face to face meeting.

FYI, here's the list o BOF proposals
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki>

There seems not to be a Bar BOF list available, yet.

Best regards,
    Peter

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:22:22 -0400

> Please have a look and fill in the form so we can try to schedule a

I'd like to ask what we want from these meetings.

The primary thing directorates ought to do, AFAIK, is reviews.  But we
don't seem to do that very reliably.  It'd be nice to see what we
could do about this.

Thomas suggested something clever to me while in San Francisco:
appoint some inexperienced people to do reviews, because that'll just
force those of us who are busier to check their work before it goes
out.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:27:14 +0100

> I'd like to ask what we want from these meetings.

I can tell you what I want out of it (currently, as DNS guy that turned into process wonk).

I like to get the brushstrokes of where the activities are that should be on my radar (or at the IAB's radar). The directorate acts as the ears and eyes of the process wonks, so to speak.

--Olaf

________________________________________________________ 

Olaf M. Kolkman                        NLnet Labs
                                       Science Park 140, 
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/               1098 XG Amsterdam

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:07:01 +0100

Hi, 

What Olaf says is more than less true also from the perspective of the
AD's (or at least from the perspective of this AD). 

Regards,

Dan 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Olaf Kolkman
> Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 9:27 PM
> To: Andrew Sullivan
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [dns-dir] DNS Dir Meeting in Prague?
> 
> 
> I like to get the brushstrokes of where the activities are 
> that should be on my radar (or at the IAB's radar). The 
> directorate acts as the ears and eyes of the process wonks, 
> so to speak.
> 
> --Olaf
> 
> 
>

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:36:12 -0400

This is pretty much as I figured, but this is also why I think we need
to recruit more people (or, perhaps to put this another way, different
people with more time).

To use my favourite example, the DNS64 draft got hardly any review
from the DNS community.  Despite my asking repeatedly, we didn't get a
review of the document until after IETF last call.  At that point, we
got a very useful and very helpful review; but it was a review that
basically told me we needed a -bis, because it was so late in the life
of the draft that trying to tackle the issues raised would have meant
basically another 6-8 months of work.  And people are shipping code
based on the extant draft.  Worse, in AUTH48 we have discovered a
problem of an inconsistency between two sections of the draft, and the
AD (DH) is insisting that this go back out to the WG or the IETF or
somewhere, it's not clear where yet, to fix it.

This is by no means an isolated incident, it's just the one with which
I am most familiar.

I don't know about the other members of the directorate, but for my
part I can barely keep up as it is.  This could be a want of
commitment on the part of my employer, and so one could argue that
what's really needed is to replace me.  (There's some merit to that
view.)  But I'm not the only one who isn't keeping on top of the
reviews, so I think the problem is deeper than that.  

Could we please discuss (either in Prague or on this list) recruiting
some new candidates to see whether we could get some of the blood
flowing?

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:12:05 +0200

Dear DNS Directorate,

> 	<http://www.doodle.com/m42s4ay75vh7b4cu>

Wednesday breakfast seems to work for most people who gave their
feedback, so I'd suggest we meet in the Hilton breakfast restaurant
at 08:00 Wed.
Of course, we'll be open to alternative suggestions.

Regards,
   Peter

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:33:17 +0200

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 01:24:59PM +0200, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

> Unfortunately the Wednesday option became busy for me. 

can we re-schedule to Thursday morning?  In the doosle poll, the
same set of people was marked available, but schedules might
have changed in the meantime.  Dan is the only AD so far.

-Peter

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:40:34 -0400

> have changed in the meantime.  Dan is the only AD so far.

I remain available on Thursday morning (Wed breakfast has also closed for me).

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]
Shinkuro, Inc.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:46:36 +0200

Hi, 

Thursday morning is also busy. Sorry for being a problem. Please go
ahead with your meeting. Maybe next time it will be easier to set the
breakfast meeting in advance (e.g. Wednesday morning). Actually the slot
became busy just a couple of hours ago. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan 

> From: Peter Koch [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Koch
> Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 1:33 PM
> To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Cc: IETF DNS Directorate
> can we re-schedule to Thursday morning?  In the doosle poll, 
> the same set of people was marked available, but schedules 
> might have changed in the meantime.  Dan is the only AD so far.
> 
> -Peter
>

---

From: Stephen Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:47:21 +0200

> have changed in the meantime.  Dan is the only AD so far.

Thursday morning is fine by me.

Stephen

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:42:15 +0200

Dear DNS Directorate,

> same set of people was marked available, but schedules might

just a reminder for tomorrow's meeting.  Let's aim at 0745 to avoid the
long queue at 0800 and to get food on the table on time for a start.
I'll try to get us the table setup sufficient for eight people at the
right hand side of the restaurant.

-Peter

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:19:43 +0200

Peter - as I mentioned to you at the plenary, Jari and I have a rescheduled IESG meeting to attend Thu AM.  I will try to drop in to the directorate meeting for a few minutes.

- Ralph

On Mar 30, 2011, at 6:42 PM, Peter Koch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dns-dir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 19:24:58 +0200

Hi, 

Same here. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan 

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ralph Droms
> Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:20 PM
> To: Peter Koch
> Cc: IETF DNS Directorate
> Peter - as I mentioned to you at the plenary, Jari and I have 
> a rescheduled IESG meeting to attend Thu AM.  I will try to 
> drop in to the directorate meeting for a few minutes.
> 
> - Ralph
> 
> 
> 
> >> can we re-schedule to Thursday morning?  In the doosle 
> poll, the same 
> >> set of people was marked available, but schedules might
> > 
> > just a reminder for tomorrow's meeting.  Let's aim at 0745 to avoid 
> > the long queue at 0800 and to get food on the table on time 
> for a start.

---

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:44:06 +0200

> right hand side of the restaurant.

Apologies for not attending this morning's meeting. Mr Murphy intervened.

				Cheers,
				  /Liman