Subject: [dns-dir] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Protocol Independent Multicast (pim)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 16:20:47 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Protocol Independent Multicast (pim) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Protocol Independent 
Multicast (pim) working group in the Routing Area of the IETF.  The IESG 
has not made any determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided 
below for informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the 
IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, July 12, 2011.

Protocol Independent Multicast (pim)
-----------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last updated: 2011-07-01

Chairs:
  Mike McBride <[email-masked]>
  Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim/
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pim/

Description of Working Group

The Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Working Group has completed
the standardization of PIM with RFC 4601. The WG has determined there
is additional work to be accomplished and is chartered to standardize
extensions to RFC 4601 - Protocol Independent Multicast Version 2 -
Sparse Mode. These PIM extensions will involve reliability, resiliency,
scalability, management, and security.

If L2VPN or L3VPN WGs determine that support for multicast in L2VPNs
and/or L3VPNs requires extensions to PIM, then such extensions will be
developed within the PIM WG.

Additional work on the PIM-BIDIR and BSR drafts may also be necessary
by the WG as these drafts progress through Standards Track.

The working group has produced MIB modules for PIM in RFC 5060 and
RFC 5240.  The working group currently has no plans to do further work
on management for PIM. If proposals are brought forward to update or
extend the existing MIB modules or to develop YANG modules, the working
group will be rechartered.

The PIM WG will further enhance RFC4601 as an even more scalable,
efficient and robust multicast routing protocol, which is capable of
supporting thousands of groups, different types of multicast
applications, and all major underlying layer-2 subnetwork technologies.
We will accomplish these enhancements by submitting drafts, to the
IESG, involving reliable pim, pim join attributes and pim
authentication.

The working group primarily works on extensions to PIM, but may take on
work related to IGMP/MLD.

There is a significant number of errata that need to be addressed in
order to advance RFC4601 to Draft Standard. The PIM WG will correct the
errata, as necessary, and update RFC4601.

The working group will initiate a new re-chartering effort if it is
determined that a Version 3 of PIM is required.

Goals and Milestones:

Done      Hold the first Working Group meeting and discuss the charter 
          and the state of progress on the chartered items.
Done      Update the PIM-DM version 2 Internet-draft. Go to WG last 
          call. Submision to IESG for considerations as proposed 
          standard.
Done      Resubmit the latest PIM-SM version 2 specification to IESG for 
          consideration as a proposed standard RFC
Done      Submit PIM-SM Applicability Statements
Done      Submit PIMv2 MIB to IESG for consideration as proposed 
          standard.
Done      Submit updated PIM-SM and PIM-DM internet-drafts, clarifying 
          any inconsistencies or ambiguities in the previous drafts.
Done      Submit PIM-SM version 2 and PIM-DM version 2 specifications to 
          IESG for consideration as Draft Standards.
Done      Submit PIMv2 MIB to IESG for consideration as draft standard.
Done      Ratify new WG charter and milestones
Done      Submit the BSR spec as a Proposed Standard to the IESG
Done      Submit the BSR MIB as a Proposed Standard to the IESG
Done      Submit a generic TLV PIM Join Attribute PS draft to the IESG
Done      Submit RPF Vector (use of PIM Join Attribute) as PS to the 
          IESG
Done      Submit a way to authenticate PIM link local messages as PS to 
          the IESG
Done      Submit an Informational PIM last hop threats document to the 
          IESG
Aug 2011  First WG version of udated RFC 4601
Aug 2011  Submit a more reliable PIM solution (refresh reduction) to the 
          IESG
Nov 2011  Submit a population count extension to PIM to the IESG
Dec 2011  Submit update of RFC 4601 to IESG for advancement to Draft 
          Standard