Subject: [dns-dir] DNS directory org/reorg session in Orlando

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 22:41:49 +0100

Dear members of teh DNS directorate and incoming OPS/INT ADs,

traditionally we've been late in scheduling a session for this upcoming
IETF and since the previous occasions showed that dinner/lunch meetings turn
out to be suboptimal, I'd like to propose we find a one hour slot to discuss
the future setup during the regular meeting times, second half of the
week (Wed-Fri).  I'd start with Wed 1300, but we can set up a doodle
if there's a chance to find a common slot at all.

Regards,
  Peter

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:14:35 +0000

FWIW - I am booked on Wednesday at 13:00. Let's Doodle. 

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Peter Koch
> Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2013 11:42 PM
> To: [email-masked]; Ted Lemon; joel jaeggli
> Subject: [dns-dir] DNS directory org/reorg session in Orlando
> 
> IETF and since the previous occasions showed that dinner/lunch meetings
> turn out to be suboptimal, I'd like to propose we find a one hour slot
> to discuss the future setup during the regular meeting times, second
> half of the week (Wed-Fri).  I'd start with Wed 1300, but we can set up
> a doodle if there's a chance to find a common slot at all.
> 
> Regards,
>   Peter
> _______________________________________________
> dns-dir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dns-dir

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:56:47 -0400

> FWIW - I am booked on Wednesday at 13:00. Let's Doodle. 

Sounds like a good plan.   Who's going to set it up?

---

From: Stephen Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:24:49 -0400

> Sounds like a good plan.   Who's going to set it up?

I will:

http://www.doodle.com/zrkrw8r5epx3ub2k

... broadly covering Wednesday afternoon to Friday morning. No idea as
to a location though.

Stephen

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:52:00 -0400

On Mar 10, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So I'd like to propose a reorganization in which we look for explcit
> reviewer volunteers, and have a performance requirement to give us a
> mechanism to remove those participants who are too busy actually to do
> the work from the roster.  (We have a lot of these.)

This sounds fine; if we did this, though, who would actually manage that process?   We're seeing similar issues in the IP directorate; some of the other directorates are (I have heard) much more formal about this.

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 12:53:59 -0400

I guess I would ask what we want to achieve with this meeting.

We've had three meetings in a row now where we said that, real soon,
we'd have a proposal for a new mode of organization.  It appears to be
an indicator of either the cycles we have or the relative importance
we place on this that no such proposal has come forward (I figure I
can make this criticism, since I was one of the people supposed to do
the proposing).

We're going to have a constitutional problem soon, however, because if
DNSEXT isn't closed before the week is out it will be next week.  So
two ex-officio members will in principle disappear.

What would we like from the directorate?  It seems to me that the
thing we have most fallen down on -- ensuring that people are tracking
work that has DNS consequences -- is the thing most urgently needed.
So I'd like to propose a reorganization in which we look for explcit
reviewer volunteers, and have a performance requirement to give us a
mechanism to remove those participants who are too busy actually to do
the work from the roster.  (We have a lot of these.)

The directorate could also function as the expert pool from which we
select experts for RRTYPE and EDNS0 OPT code assignments.

If people like this idea, then if we're going to meet I'd like to talk
about people we'd want to approach to be on the directorate.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:49:28 -0400

We've had seven entries on the Doodle poll:

... and the only time that everyone can manage is 3pm - 4pm tomorrow,
Wednesday 13 March.  I suggest we go for that.

Where shall we meet?

Stephen

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:09:16 -0400

Proceed without me.
This week is just crazy.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Lars-Johan Liman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:43:01 -0400

> Wednesday 13 March.  I suggest we go for that.

That works for me.

> Where shall we meet?

Isn't there an IAOC, IAB, IESG, ...  room that we can borrow for an
hour? Ralf, Andrew, Peter ... ?

				Cheers,
				  /Liman

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:50:47 -0400

I think I will be able to attend; might have to leave a few minutes early.

Waiting to hear where to meet...

- Ralph

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:05:42 -0400

Proceed w/o me conflict with Measurment BOF. 

	Olafur

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:11:03 -0400

> Wednesday 13 March.  I suggest we go for that.

It looks like the IESG breakout room, Boca 3, is available for this meeting.  I'll sign up for it; please confirm you'd like to use it.

- Ralph

---

From: Stephen Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:27:24 -0400

On 12/03/2013 13:11, Ralph Droms wrote:
> 
> It looks like the IESG breakout room, Boca 3, is available for this
> meeting.  I'll sign up for it; please confirm you'd like to use
> it.

We have seven people who say they can attend, so let's got for it.

DNS Directorate Meeting
15:00 - 16:00
Wednesday 13 March 2013
Boca 3

Stephen

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:28:32 -0400

> We have seven people who say they can attend, so let's got for it.

Done.  See you then.

- Ralph