Subject: RFC 2845 on DNS TSIG

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:09:20 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2845

        Title:	    Secret Key Transaction Authentication for DNS
                    (TSIG) 
        Author(s):  P. Vixie, O. Gudmundsson, D. Eastlake, 
                    B. Wellington
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked] 
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 32272
        Updates:    1035

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsext-tsig-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2845.txt

This protocol allows for transaction level authentication using
shared secrets and one way hashing.  It can be used to authenticate
dynamic updates as coming from an approved client, or to authenticate
responses as coming from an approved recursive name server.
 
No provision has been made here for distributing the shared secrets;
it is expected that a network administrator will statically configure
name servers and clients using some out of band mechanism such as
sneaker-net until a secure automated mechanism for key distribution
is available.

This document is a product of the DNS Extensions Working Group of the
IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.