Subject: RFC 2782: Name compression for the target host

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 18:46:25 -0700

> Target
> The domain name of the target host.  There MUST be one or more
> address records for this name, the name MUST NOT be an alias (in
> the sense of RFC 1034 or RFC 2181).  Implementors are urged, but
> not required, to return the address record(s) in the Additional
> Data section.  Unless and until permitted by future standards
> action, name compression is not to be used for this field.

Why is name compression not used (especially given some of the previous
comments on this list about wastage of space in DNS packets)?

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 22:06:59 -0400

> Why is name compression not used (especially given some of the
> previous comments on this list about wastage of space in DNS
> packets)?

Global compression on the record would break caching; a cache which
doesn't understand SRV records wouldn't know to pull out the
compressed names.

Local compression was nixed in this group, for reasons I don't
remember well enough to recap.