Subject: RFC 2782: The SRV RR is unique...

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 18:38:21 -0700

> Name
> The domain this RR refers to.  The SRV RR is unique in that the
> name one searches for is not this name; the example near the end
> shows this clearly.

I don't understand what this is trying to say, and the example near the end
did not help. It it just saying that the *name* of the SRV record is the
complete thing, "_Service._Proto.Name", rather than just the part *labeled*
"Name"? If so, perhaps the RFC should use the notation Name =
"_Service._Proto.Domain", make it clear that the name of the SRV record is
the whole thing, not just the trailing part.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 18:58:02 -0700

> ... It it just saying that the *name* of the SRV record is the

yes.

---

From: Greg Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 22:01:41 -0400

>> Name The domain this RR refers to.  The SRV RR is unique in that
>> the name one searches for is not this name; the example near the
>> end shows this clearly.

> I don't understand what this is trying to say, and the example near
> the end did not help. It it just saying that the *name* of the SRV
> record is the complete thing, "_Service._Proto.Name", rather than
> just the part *labeled* "Name"?

Yes.

(For other record types, you query the name you're interested in
directly; the SRV record is the first one where you stick stuff on the
front first.)