Subject: IESG comments on draft-ietf-dnsext-iana-dns

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

The IANA and IESG suggests the following changes:

Since the IANA is note the same as ISI please change the 
	<http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/dns-parameters>
to 
	See "DNS parameters" at http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm

Remove section 4 on designed expert since it doesn't add any information
(the IESG assumes that the IANA is capable of asking questions of the IESG
should such a need arise) and it raises the possibility of a request for
a designated expert even though there is nothing for the expert to do.
(In general it makes sense to have designated experts to help with allocation
for specific name spaces.)

--

Unless there is a problem with the above changes we can update the
document and have it approved.

   Erik

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:45:57 -0400

>Since the IANA is not the same as ISI please change the 

OK.  I didn't know it was accessible that way.

>for specific name spaces.)

That section was added due to a previous explicit email request from
IANA.  I assume you have more recent data than that and we can drop
it.

Revised draft should be submitted Friday, tomorrow.

Donald
===================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                    [email-masked]
 140 Forest Avenue                          [email-masked]
 Hudson, MA 01749 USA     +1 978-562-2827(h)    +1 508-261-5434(w)

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:14:07 -0400

At 7:45 PM -0400 6/29/00, Donald E. Eastlake 3rd wrote:
>Someone else wrote:

Not to protest, but when I went to access the assignments (for another
reason) today, I followed the IANA link.  Here's what I got:

http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm pointed to:
http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm#D pointed to:
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/dns-parameters

The page source for the "D" link:
<A HREF="http://www.iana.org/numbers.htm#D">D</A>

The page source for the "DNS params" link:
<P><A HREF="http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/dns-parameters">DNS
Parameters</A></P>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                                NAI Labs
Phone: +1 443-259-2352                      Email: [email-masked]

"It takes years of training to know when to do nothing" - Dogbert

Opinions expressed are property of my evil twin, not my employer.

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

> http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/dns-parameters

Yes, but that is likely to change at some point in time.
It would make sense to have the IANA pages all live under iana.org URLs.

The issue is that the RFCs live forever thus having a 1) stable reference
and 2) a reference that makes it clear that the pages are
maintained by the IANA (and not ISI) makes a lot of sense.

   Erik