Subject: Protocol Action: Secret Key Establishment for DNS (TKEY RR) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:26:52 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts for publication as
Proposed Standards:

o Secret Key Establishment for DNS (TKEY RR)
	<draft-ietf-dnsext-tkey-04.txt>
o DNS Request and Transaction Signatures ( SIG(0)s ) 
	<draft-ietf-dnsext-sig-zero-02.txt>

These documents are the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
   TSIG provides a means of authenticating Domain Name System (DNS) 
   queries and responses using shared secret keys via the TSIG resource 
   record (RR).  However, it provides no mechanism for setting up such 
   keys other than manual exchange. The TKEY document describes a TKEY 
   RR that can be used in a number of different modes to establish 
   shared secret keys between a DNS resolver and server.

   Extensions to the Domain Name System (DNS) are described in [RFC
   2535] that can provide data origin and transaction integrity and
   authentication to security aware resolvers and applications through
   the use of cryptographic digital signatures.
   Implementation experience has indicated the need for minor but non-
   interoperable changes in Request and Transaction signature resource
   records ( SIG(0)s ).  These changes are documented in the SIG(0) 
   document.

Working Group Summary

  There was consensus in the WG to advance these documents.

Protocol Quality

  The specifications have been reviewed for the IETF by Erik Nordmark.

Note to RFC Editor:

In both documents, the "References" sections need to be updated and edited:

Change:

draft-ietf-dnsext-tsig-*.txt - P. Vixie, O. Gudmundsson, D. Eastlake,
"Secret Key Transaction Signatures for DNS (TSIG)".

To:

Vixie, P., Gudmundsson, O., Eastlake, D. and B. Wellington, "Secret Key
Transaction Authentication for DNS (TSIG)", RFC 2845, May 2000.

Working Group Summary

  There was consensus in the WG to advance these documents.

Protocol Quality

  The specifications have been reviewed for the IETF by Erik Nordmark.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.