Subject: Protocol Action: Simple Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Dynamic Update to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:51:48 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Proposed
Standards:

   Simple Secure Domain Name System (DNS) Dynamic Update
   <draft-ietf-dnsext-simple-secure-update-02.txt>, obsoleting
   RFC2137.

   Domain Name System Security (DNSSEC) Signing Authority
   <draft-ietf-dnsext-signing-auth-02.txt>, updating RFC2535.

These documents are the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.
The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

 
Technical Summary
 
   The first document specifies a method for performing secure Domain Name
   System (DNS) dynamic updates.  The method described  is intended
   to be flexible and useful while requiring as few changes to the
   protocol as possible.  The authentication of the dynamic update
   message is separate from later DNSSEC validation of the data.  Secure
   communication based on authenticated requests and transactions is
   used to provide authorization.

   The second document specifies a revised model of Domain Name System 
   Security (DNSSEC) Signing Authority.  The revised model is designed to 
   clarify earlier documents and add additional restrictions to simplify 
   the secure resolution process.  Specifically, this affects the
   authorization of keys to sign sets of records.

Working Group Summary

  There was WG consensus to advance these documents.

Protocol Quality

  The specifications have been reviewed for the IESG by Erik Nordmark.

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.