Subject: Status of RFC1611, RFC1612

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:13:44 -0700 (PDT)

On the DNSEXT working group web page it mentions documents under
consideration for advancement as:

 DNS Server MIB Extensions RFC1611 Proposed 

 DNS Resolver MIB Extensions RFC1612 Proposed 

However, it then mentions under working group items as:

 Retirement of DNS MIB's RFC's 

Since these RFCs are rather old, I'm guessing that the whole issue of
a MIB for DNS is being dropped?  Just trying to make sure.

/raj

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 09:20:55 -0400

>a MIB for DNS is being dropped?  Just trying to make sure.

The old RFC's have been demonstrated to be a bad fit for what is needed
and one implementation specific.
The working group has agreed to drop them from the standards process,
the WG is willing to entertain replacement MIB proposals.

         Olafur (the WG co-chair).

PS: my personal guess is that each vendor will create his own MIB.