Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsext-apl-rr-01.txt

From: Steve Mattson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 13:43:38 -0500

Date:    Sun, 3 Dec 2000 09:02:32 -0800
  To:      Dennis Glatting <[email-masked]>
  cc:      Randy Bush <[email-masked]>, Paul A Vixie <[email-masked]>,
	   namedroppers <[email-masked]>
  From:    Patrik =?iso-8859-1?Q?F=E4ltstr=F6m?=  <[email-masked]>
  Subject: Re: draft-ietf-dnsext-apl-rr-01.txt

  Maybe we should have a "GC" class (garbage can) for these things in DNS?
  
       paf
  
We do, it's called TXT.

Steve

to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.

---

From: "Jesper G. Hoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 21:16:57 -0500

>> Maybe we should have a "GC" class (garbage can) for these things in

How about setting aside a range of record type IDs for "exotic" record
types?

The DNS message format allows for 65536 (2 byte identifier) different record
types.

What if we said that all record type IDs with high bit set are "exotic".  In
master files, they could be listed as "X1", "X2", etc. and RDATA could be
hex format for all of them.

This way implementers could treat all X... records the same, and thus no
future changes to BIND etc. are necessary when someone wants to add another
"exotic" record type.

Comments please...

Jesper