Subject: [dnsext] How to reference "DNS"?

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 05:26:04 -0700

Greetings again. A reviewer of the latest TLSA protocol document in the DANE WG has asked us to add a normative reference to the DNS RFCs because implementers would need to understand some of the DNS before using TLSA. That seems fair. However, saying "go read these two antique RFCs that have been updated over a dozen times" doesn't seem all that useful. Is there a better RFC that can be pointed to for "you need to understand some DNS basics"?

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 09:41:43 -0400

> Greetings again. A reviewer of the latest TLSA protocol document in the DANE WG has asked us to add a normative reference to the DNS RFCs because implementers would need to understand some of the D…

No, and there is no agreement on what list you ought to use either.
STD13 is your best bet.  The last time the WG "came back from sleep",
we were supposed to take on the protocol-profile work.  But we just
didn't do the work.

Best,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 07:46:46 -0700

On Apr 2, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> STD13 is your best bet.  

Works for me.

> The last time the WG "came back from sleep",

Noted.

--Paul Hoffman