Subject: Re: [dnsext] (fwd) New Version Notification for draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-01

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:28:25 +0200 (MESZ)

Internet-Drafts <[email-masked]> just wrote:

> A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-01.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Alfred Hoenes and posted
> to the IETF repository.
>
> Filename:        draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr
> Revision:        01
> Title:           DNS Incremental Zone Transfer Protocol (IXFR)
> Creation date:   2012-04-23
> WG ID:           dnsext
> Number of pages: 34
>
> Abstract:
>    The standard means within the Domain Name System protocol for
>    maintaining coherence among a zone&#39;s authoritative name servers
>    consists of three mechanisms.  Incremental Zone Transfer (IXFR) is
>    one of the mechanisms and originally was defined in RFC 1995.
>
>    This document aims to provide a more detailed and up-to-date
>    specification of the IXFR mechanism and to align it with the current
>    specification of the primary zone transfer mechanism, AXFR, given in
>    RFC 5936.  Further, based on operational experience, this document
>    juxtaposes to the original IXFR query a new query type, IXFR-ONLY,
>    that will likely be preferred over IXFR in specific deployments.
>
>    This document obsoletes and replaces RFC 1995.
>
>
> The IETF Secretariat

As usual, the draft and diffs (in various presentation forms)
as well as additional informations are available at:
  http://tools.IETF.ORG/html/draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-01

This draft version is a detailed revision of the initial WG draft
version posted during IETF 83.  It contains numerous refinements
and expanded reasoning as well as editorial fixes and improvements.
The edits performed are based on an evaluation -- biased by WG
decisions taken since 2000, in particular in the context of the
development of the AXFR specification (RFC 5936) -- of the historical
material supplied / pointed to by Andreas Gustafsson and recent on-
and off-list comments, paying particular attention to comments from
active current implementers.

Appendix C.1 of the new draft version contains a detailed, high-level
list of the changes since -00.  For the actual changes, please refer
to the online diffs.

Please read and review the draft.

Given that the major technical work already had been done in the
individual draft stage, the authors regard this draft version now
as complete and ready for WGLC, so we ask the Chairs to consider
this, to drive the WG to provide more feedback and -- hopefully --
approval to go ahead with the document, as envisioned in Prague.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+