Subject: [dnsext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-algo-imp-status-03.txt> (Applicability Statement: DNS Security (DNSSEC) DNSKEY Algorithm Implementation Status) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 06:52:00 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the DNS Extensions WG (dnsext) to
consider the following document:
- 'Applicability Statement: DNS Security (DNSSEC) DNSKEY Algorithm
   Implementation Status'
  <draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-algo-imp-status-03.txt> as Best Current
Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-07-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) requires the use of
   cryptographic algorithm suites for generating digital signatures over
   DNS data.  There is currently an IANA registry for these algorithms
   that lacks the recommended implementation status of each algorithm.
   This document provides an applicability statement on algorithm
   implementation status for DNSSEC component software.  This document
   lists each algorithm's status based on the current reference.  In the
   case that an algorithm is specified without an implementation status,
   this document assigns one.  This document updates RFCs 2536, 2539,
   3110, 4034, 4398, 5155, 5702, and 5933.

Note that this document responds to the objections raised against
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-registry-fixes-08; the earlier document was
split into this document and draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-registry-update.
The implementation status information published in this document was
originally published in draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-registry-fixes-08,
which made a novel and controversial use of the IANA registry.  That
approach was too controversial, so this document publishes that
information separately.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-algo-imp-status/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-algo-imp-status/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.