Subject: [dnsext] Protocol Action: 'Clarifications and Implementation Notes for DNSSEC' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-bis-updates-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 14:40:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Clarifications and Implementation Notes for DNSSEC'
  (draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-bis-updates-20.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-bis-updates/

Technical Summary

    DNSSECbis was published in RFC 4033, RFC 4034, and RFC 4035.
    Since the publication, some people filed errata against those
    documents, some additional developments added to DNSSECbis, and
    some implementation experience illustrated ambiguities or issues
    with the original texts.  This draft collects those issues in a
    single place, updating the DNSSECbis specification and clarifying
    it where need be.

Working Group Summary

    This draft is the product of the DNS Extensions Working Group.
    Many of the clarifications came easily.  The more
    contentious parts of the document have been discussed at length.
    For the most controversial of the clarifications, extensive
    discussion is included in appendices so that implementers and
    deployers may make informed decisions.

Document Quality

    Most, if not all, of the document is reflected in the bulk of
    DNSSECbis validators and signers deployed on the Internet.  The
    document is the result of several years of experience and
    discussion, collected with an eye to improving implementations.
    One of the most contentious parts resulted in multiple rounds of
    discussion and a special design team meeting.  The document as it
    stands has been refined over a long period of time, and is of high
    quality.

Personnel

  Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area
  Director?

    Andrew Sullivan is the Document Shepherd, and Ralph Droms is the
    Responsible Area Director.Technical Summary