Subject: Re: [mdnsext] Informal mdnsext "Bar BoF" at IETF 86, Mon 3/11
From: Kerry Lynn <[email-masked]>
To: David Farmer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:06:51 -0400
List-Id: "Discussion of extensions to Bonjour \(mDNS and DNS-SD\) for routed networks." <mdnsext.ietf.org>

Hi David, et al.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 7:04 PM, David Farmer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Was there a successful "Bar Bof" for mdnsext at IETF 86.  Minutes from a
> Bar Bof is most definitely expecting too much.
>
> Yes, I think it was very helpful from a level-setting perspective.  The
meeting was  was
attended by Stuart, myself, Peter Van Der Stok, Anders Brandt, Dave Taht,
Jim Gettys,
and others.

But, were there any discussions or conclusions worth reporting?  Is a
> working group proposal moving forward?
>
> Focusing on the tactical, we discussed and approved the current framing of
the problem
statement.  This is roughly the task of defining one or more proposed
standards for DNS-
based naming and service discovery that fill the gap between the extrema of
zero-conf
mDNS and fully-managed global DNS.  The use cases will be laid out on a
spectrum of
increasing administrative cost (where the cost must be weighed against the
benefits).
LLNs (i.e. multi-link subnets) must be considered in any proposed solution.

Stuart also described his hybrid proxy solution and I think there's a good
understanding
of it now amongst this core group.  I would be very happy to see a
prototype running in
Berlin.  You may have seen the writeup that Stuart posted regarding how
DNS-SD works
with a conventional DNS infrastructure.  I have been experimenting with
AppleTV and will
post a solution that can be deployed on campus at once, albeit with some
administration
required.

I'll start working on the next requirements draft later this week based on
the excellent
comments by you and others so yes, we should have plenty of time to line up
our ducks
before the next IETF.  I'm hoping we can pick up some of the enthusiastic
criticism that
was appearing over on the homenet list.  One area where we still need work
is on the
security section; what are the new security issues raised by the use cases
and how do
we deal with them?

I need to verify this, but I believe Ralph Droms will be replaced by Ted
Lemon as the
responsible AD going forward.

Most important did you drink any good beer?  Hope you drank one for me. :)
>
> Oh, we probably drank more than one for you.  We were captives at the
hotel (it being
surrounded by swamps and alligators) and so were somewhat constrained
regarding
drafts that could be considered.  I settled on Yuengling, which I always
thought was
Chinese for some reason, but I stand corrected ;-)

Regards, -K-

Thanks
>
> --
> ==============================**==================
> David Farmer               Email: [email-masked]
> Office of Information Technology
> University of Minnesota
> 2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
> Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952
> ==============================**==================
>