Subject: [dnssd] draft- revision

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 22:44:44 +0200

Hello,

I'm sharing my own version for a threat model. You might expect the
revisions, possibly soon. It gives others a chance to review and discuss.
Then I can merge this version with other the versions of other contributors.
Here is the public link to this draft
http://editor.rozanak.com/show.aspx?q=13&u=12A780FEAA521FB4DC0BC2A30E2BBB12B
0191BFB
.

Thanks,
Best,
Hosnieh

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 22:48:00 +0200

Follow up,
Please make sure that you copy the whole link
http://editor.rozanak.com/show.aspx?q=13&u=12A780FEAA521FB4DC0BC2A30E2BBB12B
0191BFB not sure why the link in the previous message has been splited into
two parts.....
Best,
Hosnieh

---

From: Douglas Otis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 14:27:03 -0700

> http://editor.rozanak.com/show.aspx?q=13&u=12A780FEAA521FB4DC0BC2A30E2BBB12B

Dear Hosnieh,

Your draft makes a few good points, but misses more serious concerns also overlooked in other wg drafts.  Could you update your link for draft-otis-dnssd-mdns-xlink to:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otis-dnssd-mdns-xlink-03

An example given is for printers, but this includes video cameras, baby-monitors, home automation devices, etc. Use of mDNS proxy into DNS as the method for merging different networking realms creates very serious issues.

Here are a few examples:
1) an inability to restore typical firewall protections when routable replaces link-local.
2) an inability to resolve multiple interface naming conflicts.
3) an inability to administratively defend services from look-alike or interposed MiTM exploits.

Regards,
Douglas Otis

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 23:33:40 +0200

Hi Douglas,

My threat model was based on the old version of your draft. I will take a
look on your new version and also update the link to point to the new one.

Thanks,

Best,

Hosnieh

From: Douglas Otis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 11:27 PM
To: Hosnieh Rafiee
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [dnssd] draft- revision

Hello,

I'm sharing my own version for a threat model. You might expect the
revisions, possibly soon. It gives others a chance to review and discuss.
Then I can merge this version with other the versions of other contributors.
Here is the public link to this draft
http://editor.rozanak.com/show.aspx?q=13
<http://editor.rozanak.com/show.aspx?q=13&u=12A780FEAA521FB4DC0BC2A30E2BBB12
B> &u=12A780FEAA521FB4DC0BC2A30E2BBB12B
0191BFB

Dear Hosnieh,

Your draft makes a few good points, but misses more serious concerns also
overlooked in other wg drafts.  Could you update your link for
draft-otis-dnssd-mdns-xlink to:

An example given is for printers, but this includes video cameras,
baby-monitors, home automation devices, etc. Use of mDNS proxy into DNS as
the method for merging different networking realms creates very serious
issues.

Here are a few examples:

1) an inability to restore typical firewall protections when routable
replaces link-local.

3) an inability to administratively defend services from look-alike or
interposed MiTM exploits.

Regards,

Douglas Otis