Subject: [dnssd] Update of draft-sullivan-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:48:35 -0400

Dear colleagues,

I updated draft-sullivan-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop.  It's available from
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop/.
In the -01 update, I concentrated on three things:

1.  Altering the discussion of handling the <Instance> portion of a
Service Instance Name to say that it should always be in UTF-8 and
that it should not be processed with IDNA2008.  Stuart Cheshire, who
has seen this version of the draft, has already taken me to task about
this because he apparently thinks it's a stupid thing to worry about.
My own view is that we need to make it clear that different parts of a
Service Instance Name have to be treated in different ways.  That's
anyway what the draft is intending to say, so if that's not clear
please let me know.

2.  Ensuring that it is clear that the normal way Service Instance
Names cause queries is, generally, from pick lists rather than other
kinds of user input.  The implication is that the "side of the bus"
problem that has caused a great deal of trouble for domain names in
lots of cases should not be an issue in DNS-SD.  If that message isn't
clear, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

3.  Discussing the difference between the <Domain> portion and other
portions, and offering reasons why the <Domain> portion should aways
be looked up using IDNA.

I hope this is useful.

Best regards,

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]