Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 07:23:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery  Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Requirements for Scalable DNS-SD/mDNS Extensions
        Authors         : Kerry Lynn
                          Stuart Cheshire
                          Marc Blanchet
                          Daniel Migault
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-04.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2014-10-08

Abstract:
   DNS-SD/mDNS is widely used today for discovery and resolution of
   services and names on a local link, but there are use cases to extend
   DNS-SD/mDNS to enable service discovery beyond the local link.  This
   document provides a problem statement and a list of requirements.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnssd-requirements-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Hosnieh Rafiee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:53:13 +0200

Hi,

I reviewed this draft and found it well written and good coverage.
I only want to raise two questions here. Since this document considered all
different devices and different environemnt, does it make sense to also care
about Cloud environment and how DNS-SD suppose to work there ? I am asking
because this is the future of our networks and with high speed we are moving
toward it. 

My next question is that I thought in the last IETF, (as I raised this
question during my presentation) the WG decided to move all threat analysis
in the separate document that is current threat analysis draft. I still see
there are improved version of threat analysis at the requirement draft. What
is the decision here and how do you want to do it?

Thanks,
Best,
Hosnieh

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:15:47 +0100

Hi,

> because this is the future of our networks and with high speed we are moving

The -04 is a combination of:
a) agreed edits from the previous IETF meeting resulting from the WGLC (as per minutes)
b) comments addressed from the list (not too many, but they improve the doc)
c) clarifications/expansions of text by Stuart, which make it read more clearly but don’t alter semantics

I believe the text is now good to go to the IESG and am finishing the shepherd text, but if any feel their comments are not addressed now is a chance to shout.

I don’t think cloud is an area to consider at this point.  Feel free to try to capture a problem statement though.

> is the decision here and how do you want to do it?

I think what we agreed was that we would take you up on your offer to write such a document, but keeping the content in scope for our charter.  If you ping me off list we can discuss further if you wish. Your offer is still welcome :)   We don’t want the analysis to hold up this requirements draft - it’s been long enough as is and seems in good shape otherwise now.

Tim