Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:05:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery  Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Hybrid Unicast/Multicast DNS-Based Service Discovery
        Author          : Stuart Cheshire
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2014-11-13

Abstract:
   Performing DNS-Based Service Discovery using purely link-local
   Multicast DNS enables discovery of services that are on the local
   link, but not (without some kind of proxy or similar special support)
   of services that are outside the local link.  Using a very large
   local link with thousands of hosts improves service discovery, but at
   the cost of large amounts of multicast traffic.

   Performing DNS-Based Service Discovery using purely Unicast DNS is
   more efficient, but requires configuration of DNS Update keys on the
   devices offering the services, which can be onerous for simple
   devices like printers and network cameras.

   Hence a compromise is needed, that provides easy service discovery
   without requiring either large amounts of multicast traffic or
   onerous configuration.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/