Subject: [dnssd] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop-04.txt> (On Interoperation of Labels Among Conventional DNS and Other Resolution Systems) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:10:02 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Extensions for Scalable DNS
Service Discovery  WG (dnssd) to consider the following document:
- 'On Interoperation of Labels Among Conventional DNS and Other
   Resolution Systems'
  <draft-ietf-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop-04.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-04-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Despite its name, DNS-Based Service Discovery can use naming systems
   other than the Domain Name System when looking for services.
   Moreover, when it uses the DNS, DNS-Based Service Discovery uses the
   full capability of DNS, rather than using a subset of available
   octets.  In order for DNS-SD to be used effectively in environments
   where multiple different name systems and conventions for their
   operation are in use, it is important to attend to differences in the
   underlying technology and operational environment.  This memo
   presents an outline of the requirements for selection of labels for
   conventional DNS and other resolution systems when they are expected
   to interoperate in this manner.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-mdns-dns-interop/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.