Subject: [dnssd] My implementation of DNS service registration spec

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 16:48:23 +0200

Hi everyone

This is the (partial) implementation of draft-sctl-service-registration
I was talking about:

https://github.com/tohojo/nsregd

The README file has a few more details on how it's supposed to work. I
also wrote a blog post about how I'm using it in my network:
https://blog.tohojo.dk/2017/06/naming-and-service-discovery-on-a-routed-ipv6-network.html

These are the current differences between the implementation and the
draft:

- My implementation overloads the TTL value (in the message from the
  client to the registration server) instead of using the "Update
  Leases" specified in the draft

- The client uses a different SRV lookup to find the registration server
  ( _nsreg._tcp.<zone> instead of _dns-update._udp.<zone>)

- The registration server only speaks TCP (to avoid spoofing)

- I don't implement the sleep proxy (Section 4 of the draft)

- Server only allows A and AAAA records (and will optionally generate
  reverse PTRs).

I'm planning to update the implementation to conform to the draft (now
that I'm aware that it exists). I'll post a separate email with a review
of the draft and some discussion points.

-Toke