Subject: [dnssd] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-push-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 16:48:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery  of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Push Notifications
        Authors         : Tom Pusateri
                          Stuart Cheshire
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-push-12.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2017-07-03

Abstract:
   The Domain Name System (DNS) was designed to return matching records
   efficiently for queries for data that is relatively static.  When
   those records change frequently, DNS is still efficient at returning
   the updated results when polled, as long as the polling rate is not
   too high.  But there exists no mechanism for a client to be
   asynchronously notified when these changes occur.  This document
   defines a mechanism for a client to be notified of such changes to
   DNS records, called DNS Push Notifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-push/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-push-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-push-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnssd-push-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 14:23:08 +0000

Hi,

A new -12 version was published on Monday.

I believe the only significant change in the -12 version, which we’ll discuss briefly in Prague, is the inclusion of the option for a client to speak first to its recursive resolver to request Push notifications. 

Otherwise the draft is with Tim Wicinski for his shepherd’s report before it’s sent to the IESG.

The relevant text is in 6.1:

   The client begins by opening a DNS Session to its normal configured
   DNS recursive resolver and requesting a Push Notification
   subscription.  If this is successful, then the recursive resolver
   will make appropriate Push Notification subscriptions on the client's
   behalf, and the client will recieve appropriate results.  If the
   recursive resolver does not support Push Notification subscriptions,
   then it will return an error code, and the client should proceed to
   discover the appropriate server to talk to directly.

(see https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-push-12)

There was also an update to the DNS Session Signalling draft, which I believe will now go to WGLC in the DNSOP WG (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-session-signal-03).

Tim 

> On 4 Jul 2017, at 00:48, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt