Subject: [domainrep] Possible changes to the standard. (DNS/UDP)

From: Steve Allam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:59:50 +0100

All,

Again, sorry for the delay - a 10 day trip to Singapore seems to knock 
out my todo list..

In terms of what I thought might help in the standard, at least in terms 
of us being able to move to it:

In the DNS variant, we have a domain+ip whitelist which provides a whole 
host of reputation based on the 127.x.y.z. response, which perhaps goes 
beyond the scope of the standard to provide guidelines for how to 
represent the x.y.z (beyond what already exists for RWL).  However, our 
query is of the format:

<md5 hash>.<cust key>.<service>.<server>
Where:
      - The md5 hash is basically a hash of the concatenation of domain 
and IP values.
      - The cust key is a both a customer key and identifier, used to 
control access to the service
      - The service denotes the particular list they are accessing
      - The server is well, the server.

So this matches the draft with the exception of the customer key, but of 
course you could loosely regard this as being a fit - you may not want 
to specify the use of a key, perhaps allow for it being there as an option?

As to the md5 hash - we would be happy to switch to a different hashing 
scheme - I wonder whether the spec can be extended here, in case other 
users wanted to provide instead encrypted data (rather than hashed data) 
for some reason - on the one hand specifying a particular hash algorithm 
means that client components can be standardised - on the other hand, if 
the standard is too flexible, you end up describing a mechanism too 
loose to be called a standard at all.

So all in all, to say that we adhered to the standard at the moment 
would require us to switch hashing schemes, and maybe denote that the 
<cust key>.<service> actually denotes a <service> for the particular 
customer....?

Regards,

Steve
-- 
*
Steve Allam | * Chief Technology Officer *| TrustSphere *

3 Phillip Street, #13-03 Commerce Point, Singapore, 048693
Tel: +65 6536 5203 | Fax: +65 6536 5463
[email-masked] | www.trustsphere.com