Subject: [domainrep] Remarks from Paris:

From: Chris Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:51:31 -0400

My first remark was regarding query templates:

It's a common problem with public DNSBLs that queries are malformed from
the very beginning, and there's generally no way (or at least polite
way) to get them fixed - they just keep pounding away with
ineffective/useless queries.

Once a service like this is configured at the client end, it tends to be
forgotten, and if the admin leaves...

Templates would go a long way to avoid that happening from the start.

Second:

When you query a domain, it would often be useful to get a reputation
score back both for where the domain is authenticated, and where it
isn't authenticated.  This can help spam filtering engines apply
probabilities not only for the case where the domain owner does
authenticate normally and it's being spoofed, as well as when it's never
authenticated.

Use cases:

a) NACHA (and IRS/DHS/DHL/USPS/UPS/FBI/et al.) spoofs that try to inject
Zeus infectors.  Absolutely ridiculous volumes of these going on now.
Big problem everywhere.

Knowing that an authenticated NACHA email is probably good, and an
unauthenticated NACHA email should be treated as a plague carrier would
be good.

b) Even if the domain doesn't "do" authentication, being able to supply
reputation on a domain greatly broadens the applicability/usefulness of
a reputation service.  Eg: if you start getting spoofed like NACHA does,
the only way to get a good reputation for _your_ email is to start
authenticating.  Without the existence of both A/!A reputation there's
little incentive.

---

From: "Rolf E. Sonneveld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:33:32 +0200

> authenticating.  Without the existence of both A/!A reputation there's

If reputation on unauthenticated identifiers is useful (repeat: if), 
then _any_ identity mentioned in par. 4.1.4 of RFC5598 should be 
mentioned as a possible identity candidate (in par. 3.2 of 
draft-ietf-repute-email-identifiers.

/rolf