Subject: [domainrep] Changes to the various documents - where is response set defined?

From: Steve Allam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:59:07 +0100

All,

When examining the email-identifiers document, section 3.2 says:

 >The "email-id" reputation application recognizes the following
 >   OPTIONAL extensions to the basic response set defined in
 >   [I-D.REPUTE-MODEL]:

If you refer back to the repute-model document, it says:

 > The basic information to be represented in the protocol is fairly 
simple, and includes the following:
 >   o  the identity of the entity providing the reputation information;
 >   o  the identity of the entity being rated;
 >   o  the overall rating score for that entity;
 >   o  the level of confidence in the accuracy of that rating; and
 >   o  the number of data points underlying that score.

i.e. it doesn't really define the basic response set.  That can be 
(better) found in the repute-media-type document.  The only reference to 
the media-type document is:

 > Additional documents define a [MIME] type for reputation data, and 
protocols for exchanging such data.

However, the five bullets above are inconsistent with this document as 
well - note that the bullet points suggest that a response should 
'include' the following, whereas the media-type document gives four 'key 
pieces' of data and four 'optional':

Required (key piece):
  - RATER (bullet 1)
  - ASSERTION
  - RATED (bullet 2)
  - RATING (bullet 3)

Optional:
  - CONFIDENCE (bullet 4)
  - RATER-AUTHENTICITY
  - SAMPLE-SIZE (bullet 5)
  - UPDATED

I feel that implementors need a clear definition of what is required and 
what is optional, also that the path through the documents needs to be 
clear - i.e. these are defned in the model document, and the media 
document is left to show how to represent these in the media type being 
defined.

Regards,

Steve

-- 
*
Steve Allam | Chief Technology Officer | TrustSphere *

3 Phillip Street, #13-03 Commerce Point, Singapore, 048693
Tel: +65 6536 5203 | Fax: +65 6536 5463
[email-masked] | www.trustsphere.com