Subject: [Dots] New draft - guide to creating an ECDSA pki

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 10:00:46 -0400

I have spoken to the need for Identities in DOTS agents.  This implies 
using X.509 certificates and making sure they work in your product.  But 
getting decent certificates for PoC and testing has been challenging.

To this end, I have created a guide and put it together in an ID.  I am 
interested in working with those participating in the Hackathon to put 
together the DOTS Hackaton PKI.

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:     New Version Notification for draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki-00.txt
Date:     Wed, 30 Aug 2017 06:53:03 -0700
From:     [email-masked]
To:     Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>, Liang Xia 
<[email-masked]>, Henk Birkholz 
<[email-masked]>, Liang Xia <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Robert Moskowitz and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:        draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki
Revision:    00
Title:        Guide for building an ECC pki
Document date:    2017-08-30
Group:        Individual Submission
Pages:        26
URL: https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki-00.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki/
Htmlized: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki-00
Htmlized: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki-00

Abstract:
    This memo provides a guide for building a PKI (Public Key
    Infrastructure) using openSSL.  All certificates in this guide are
    ECDSA, P-256, with SHA256 certificates.  Along with common End Entity
    certificates, this guide provides instructions for creating IEEE
    802.1AR [IEEE.802.1AR_2009] iDevID Secure Device certificates.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Panos Kampanakis (pkampana)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 18:01:09 +0000

Are you envisioning this to be a draft adopted in DOTS WG? It would make a nice whitepaper for DOTS adopters for the hackathon, but I am not sure a technical document on how to use common tools to set up PKI is suitable for an IETF draft. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Dots [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Robert Moskowitz
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 10:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dots] New draft - guide to creating an ECDSA pki

I have spoken to the need for Identities in DOTS agents.  This implies using X.509 certificates and making sure they work in your product.  But getting decent certificates for PoC and testing has been challenging.

To this end, I have created a guide and put it together in an ID.  I am interested in working with those participating in the Hackathon to put together the DOTS Hackaton PKI.

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:     New Version Notification for draft-moskowitz-ecdsa-pki-00.txt
Date:     Wed, 30 Aug 2017 06:53:03 -0700
From:     [email-masked]
To:     Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>, Liang Xia 
<[email-masked]>, Henk Birkholz <[email-masked]>, Liang Xia <[email-masked]>

Abstract:

The IETF Secretariat

_______________________________________________
Dots mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dots

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:18:32 -0400

I do not see it as a DOTS document.  I would like to seem some wg like 
LAMPS take it on.  But even that would take a LAMPS charter change.

I did this as a draft, because, frankly, there is no guide out there and 
I know that some workgroups are just at best winging it. As well as 
those that DO SOMETHING, grap some RSA tip and don't look at ECDSA.

Thus it is a guidance document for wgs like DOTS.  Is what you want to 
do, workable?  Don't you need some certs and trust proofs for your 
Hackahon?  And for NETCONF to start with this, then do their vouchers 
(and ANIMA as well).

BTW, I will rev this for Ed25519 at some point.

Bob