Subject: [drinks] FW: [drinks protocol] Candidate RFC Outlines, etc

From: "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 11:16:11 -0700

Forwarding to the main list.

________________________________

From: Cartwright, Kenneth 
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:32 AM
To: Spencer Dawkins; Guyton, Deborah A; Richard Shockey; Cartwright,
Kenneth; Maharishi, Manjul; Sumanth Channabasappa; Alexander Mayrhofer;
Jean-Francois Mule
Subject: [drinks protocol] Candidate RFC Outlines, etc

Per action items from last week's call I'm offering the following items
below:

1) A few words and proposal for the name(s) of the protocols involved.
If we have a name for the two protocols then I think it may be a tad
easier to discuss them.

2) The list of the existing RFCs that I looked at as seed data for the
two proposed RFC outlines.

3) A proposed high level architectural approach to the protocol, as it
is very difficult to propose an RFC outline without also having a
high-level architectural approach to the protocol.

Btw, is the email recipient list above the correct email list to use?

Thanks.

Ken.

Protocol Names 

================ 

One could propose names for what Rich has accurately referred to as the
"Provisioning" Protocol and the "Distribution" Protocol, VPPP and VPDP.
VPPP allows provisioning into the VoIP peering "registry", and VPDP
allows distribution of the resulting "registry" data views down to the
"addressing servers". So, what we are embarking on as our primary focus
initially is an instance of a VPPP. This sounds like a minor point, I
think getting these two names agreed on adds meaningful clarity and
context to what we are all talking about. 

RegistryClient = VPPP Client 

Registry = VPPP Server 

Registry=VPDP Client 

AddressingServer = VPDP Server 

But onto the primary action item: Protocol Document Outlines and Overall
Approach to the Protocol Itself.

Protocol Document Outlines and Overall Approach to the Protocol Itself 

======================================================================= 

After reviewing the following RFCs and the ESPP document, my thoughts on
the protocol approach and specification outline are as follows: 

RFCs Reviewed as Models: 

1) 4741 NETCONF Configuration Protocol 

2) 4743 Using NETCONF over SOAP 

3) 4930 EPP 

4) 4931 EPP Domain Name Mapping 

5) 4934 EPP Over TCP

High-Level Protocol Approach/Architecture: 

=============================================

1) Thick vs Thin WSDL: When designing VPPP use a "Generic/Thin WSDL"
approach. This is the approach I would take if I were to SOAPify EPP,
and is also the approach taken by NETCONF. This approach did not "sell"
(was not adopted) when proposed to the ESPP working group I think
because it was proposed after others had grown comfortable with the
"Thick WSDL" approach. 

2) Separation of Protocol "Messaging and Transport" and "Protocol Data
Structures": Clearly separate, both conceptually and structurally, the
specification of the protocol "messaging and transport" from the
specification of the protocol data structures. This is the approach that
both EPP and NETCONF takes, and seems to be the IETF way (ESPP did not
take this approach). I also like how this approach creates some
semblance of layering with the resulting flexibility. It also just
"sounds smart", :-). 

3) Extensibility: EPP, NETCONF, and ESPP are all inherently extensible.
It is very important that the new protocol also be inherently extensible
and we can perhaps take the "best of" approaches used by EPP, NETCONF,
and ESPP. 

Protocol Document Outlines (2 of them): 

=========================================== 

>>>>Outline of VPPP Specification: 

1 Introduction 

1.1 Protocol Overview 

1.2 Layering 

1.3 Data Model 

1.4 Conventions Used in This Document 

2 Transport Requirements 

2.1 Connection Oriented Operation 

2.2 Authentication 

2.3 Mandatory Transport 

2.4 Pipelining 

3 XML Considerations 

3.1 Namespaces 

3.2 Versioning 

4 Request and Reply Model 

4.1 Request 

4.2 Reply 

4.3 Object Identity 

4.4 Client/Server Synchronization 

4.5 Result Codes 

5 Protocol Commands 

5.1 "Command 1" 

5.1.1 Description 

5.1.2 Example 

5.1.2 Applicable Result Codes 

5.2 "Command 2" 

5.2.1 Description 

5.2.2 Example 

5.2.2 Applicable Result Codes 

6 Security Considerations 

7 IANA Considerations 

8 Authors and Acknowledgements 

9 References 

9.1 Normative References 

9.2 Informative References 

Appendix A Formal Specification - XSD 

Appendix B Specification Extensibility 

>>>>Outline of VPPP over SOAP Specification 

1 Introduction 

1.1 SOAP Mapping Overview 

1.2 Conventions Uses in This Document 

2 SOAP Usage 

2.1 Background 

2.2 SOAP Repository/URL 

2.3 SOAP over HTTP Transport 

2.4 SOAP Headers 

2.5 Session Management 

3 SOAP VPPP Message Exchange 

3.6.1 Description 

3.6.1 Example 

4 Security Considerations 

5 IANA Considerations 

6 Authors and Acknowledgements 

7 References 

7.1 Normative References 

7.2 Informative References 

Appendix A Formal Specification - WSDL