Subject: [drinks] use case: support for optional "ttl" attribute

From: "Ali, Syed Wasim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 00:47:52 -0400

Hi,

Here is another use case for consideration:

For performance reasons, in favor of localized lookups, a query entity may
decide to cache the answers and selectively query the resolution server when
either the TTL expires or as a result of another out of band trigger.
Therefore, the publishing entity should be able *optionally* specify the TTL
for a given route record. In the absence of the ttl in the provisioning
record, the provisioning server default for the ttl will take effect. If the
provisioning server doesn't support TTL option, it will result in a failure
and a well-known error should be returned in the response.

thanks,

-Syed

---

From: "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:00:50 -0400

This sounds good to me.  A tweak to consider is:

Given that this is an optional data element because some systems to not need to support it, the following phrase in the use case may not be good "In the absence of the ttl in the provisioning record, the provisioning server default for the ttl will take effect.".  I think this sentence should be removed, recognizing that the use of this optional field by the provisioning system is a matter of policy.  Also, this sentence seems to be in conflict with the next sentence about "If the provisioning server..."

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ali, Syed Wasim
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 12:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [drinks] use case: support for optional "ttl" attribute

Hi,

thanks,

-Syed

_______________________________________________
drinks mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/drinks

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)and may
contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction Network Services.
Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

---

From: "Ali, Syed Wasim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:39:05 -0400

Again, thanks for the feedback. Here is the revised text:

For performance reasons, in favor of localized lookups, a query entity may
decide to cache the answers and selectively query the resolution server when
either the TTL expires or as a result of another out of band trigger.
Therefore, the publishing entity should be able to *optionally* specify the
TTL for a given route record. If the provisioning server doesn't support TTL
option, it will result in a failure and a well-known error should be
returned in the response.

On 4/22/10 10:00 AM, "Cartwright, Kenneth" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Given that this is an optional data element because some systems to not need
> to support it, the following phrase in the use case may not be good "In the
> absence of the ttl in the provisioning record, the provisioning server default
> for the ttl will take effect.".  I think this sentence should be removed,
> recognizing that the use of this optional field by the provisioning system is
> a matter of policy.  Also, this sentence seems to be in conflict with the next
> sentence about "If the provisioning server..."
> 
> Ken
> 
> are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
> destroy all copies of the original message.
>