Subject: [drinks] Fwd: [dispatch] Request for input. FW: I-D Action: draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt

From: Sumanth Channabasappa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 08:14:50 -0600

FYI ...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: June 9, 2011 8:10:25 AM MDT
To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [dispatch] Request for input. FW: I-D Action: draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt

As some of you may have seen from the proposed DISPATCH agenda, this
document is proposed for discussion. It is in a early draft stage and needs
comment and community input.

That said I want to strongly support both the concept and the direction this
draft is taking. It highlights and proposes a solution to an extremely
important problem in SIP interconnection among global SIP service providers.
The problem is who do you send the session to if, typically, all you have is
a E.164 number.

OK some of you would say ..that is what ENUM was supposed to do and
certainly no one wants listen to me rant on about ENUM anymore, but the
problem of number translation in SIP service provider networks remains and
is a serious impediment to global deployments.

There is substantial technical precedent for this type of solution. In the
North American Numbering Databases there is a Service Provider
Identification Code (SPID) that has proved very useful for SIP service
providers in deploying Network to Network Interconnection interfaces. The
very existence of this identifier has permitted interconnected SIP to expand
to nearly 30% of the US voice market according to 2010 data from US Federal
Communications Commission Statistics. This draft proposes to extend this
technique.

The elegance of this solution is that it does not propose any new protocols,
nor does it define what type of databases or class of users can use the URN.

As the draft points out, this concept has been discussed for some time in
various industry groups and has been discussed as part of the overall DRINKS
architecture. It is, IMHO, a "good thing".

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:34 AM
To: <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: I-D Action: draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

   Title           : SP URN
   Author(s)       : Penn Pfautz
   Filename        :
draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt
   Pages           : 5
   Date            : 2011-06-02

  This document requests a service provider identifier URN namespace.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier
-urn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-
urn-00.txt
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: <http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or <ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

_______________________________________________
dispatch mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:27:52 -0400

Thanks for forwarding this … we’re going to need all of your support for this in DISPATCH. 

See you all in Quebec City. 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sumanth Channabasappa
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:15 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [drinks] Fwd: [dispatch] Request for input. FW: I-D Action: draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt

FYI ...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: June 9, 2011 8:10:25 AM MDT
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [dispatch] Request for input. FW: I-D Action: draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn-00.txt

   Title           : SP URN
   Author(s)       : Penn Pfautz
   Filename        :

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-
urn-00.txt
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

[email-masked]