Subject: [drinks] Update regarding the ITU Study Group 2 Liaison (Ref: TD 71 (PLEN/2))

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:01:02 +0200

We've just sent the following message as an update to the Liaison
between the DRINKS WG and ITU-T Study Group 2
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/518/):

--- snip ---

Update regarding the ITU Study Group 2 Liaison (Ref: TD 71 (PLEN/2))

Reference: ITU's Liaison from ITU-T SF plenary, 2 April 2009 to the IETF
Data for Reachability of Inter/tra-NetworK SIP Working Group (DRINKS WG)

The liaison statement brings to attention use cases and requirements
being discussed within the IETF DRINKS WG around a Global Service
Provider Identifier (G-SPID), for use with any efforts undertaken within
the ITU-T SG2 WG. The chairs of the DRINKS WG would like to update ITU-T
SG2 as follows:

As you may be aware, the DRINKS WG has three specific work items:
1. Use cases and requirements
(http://tools.ietf.org/wg/drinks/draft-ietf-drinks-usecases-requirements
/)
2. The Session Peering Provisioning Protocol, or SPPP
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-drinks-spprov)
3. SOAP-specific transport
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-drinks-sppp-over-soap)

The use case and requirements we have agreed to are listed in document
#1, above. Specifically, use case UC  SED EXCHANGE #3 describes the
mapping of public Identifiers (e.g., E.164 numbers) to administrative
domain identifiers. These identifier would not necessarily be
resolvable, but could then be used subsequently to query for such
information. The DRINKS WG has discussed the potential structure of such
an administrative domain identifier, which could be a G-SPID. During
those discussions, the DRINKS WG participants noted that similar
identifiers were already in use within the IETF - most prominently, the
Telephony Routing over IP (TRIP) IP Telephony Administrative Domain
(ITAD) Numbers
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/trip-parameters/trip-parameters.xml) as
well as the Private Enterprise Numbers
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers). We also discussed
the potential definition of such an identifier outside the IETF, such as
within the ITU-T. 

During those discussions, the DRINKS working group identified the
following requirements on such a identifier:
- An identifier in the space must be globally unique
- Identifiers must be available to all SIP service providers, where this
definition include licensed communication service providers as well as
enterprises and other organizations, but also individuals who operate
their own SIP services; so, the identifier space must essentially be
available to the general public. 
- The identifier space must be big enough to not be exhausted in the
foreseeable future

Discussions about the following properties were inconclusive:
- Whether the identifier space should allow for hierarchical structures,
so that a SIP service provider could a) create their own
sub-identifiers, and b) whether those sub-identifiers would have only
local meaning, or create a different identifier
- Whether any of the existing identifier spaces (see above) should be
utilized, or whether a new identifier space should be created.

In any case, the WG felt that it was not within our charter to choose,
or specify, such an identifier. The protocol definition, thus, leaves it
open to be specified outside of the DRINKS WG. This is done by
specifying a data field structured as an Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI), since it is anticipated that an administrative domain identifier
(or G-SPID) can be expressed accordingly. 

As a result of these conclusions, IETF participants interested in the
definition of an administrative domain identifier or G-SPID have been
continuing discussions within the IETF DISPATCH WG
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dispatch/charter/). During the IETF's
81st meeting in Quebec, Canada, Penn Pfautz presented to the DISPATCH WG
an internet draft
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn
) describing an proposal for G-SPID. See:
https://tools.ietf.org/agenda/81/slides/dispatch-1.pptx 

Minutes of the session are available here:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dispatch/minutes?item=minutes81.html 

In summary, no further discussion or work is scheduled to happen within
the DRINKS WG. We encourage interested individuals and organizations,
including the ITU SG2, to follow the progress of
draft-pfautz-service-provider-identifier-urn within the IETF DISPATCH
WG. 

Regards,
Alex Mayrhofer and Sumanth Channabasappa, Co-chairs, IETF DRINKS WG
.....