Subject: [eap] Survey: Unexpected packet in the middle of an EAP method

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:50:58 -0800 (PST)

In order to understand how to resolve Issue 52, we need to understand
better how current EAP implementation behave. If you have developed an EAP
implementation, please describe how your implementation reacts in the
following cases:

1. An EAP Success is received prior to completion of the EAP method (e.g.
an EAP Success arrives prior to authentication of the authenticator to the
Peer).

2. An EAP message of a different Type is received, prior to completion of
an EAP method in progress.

3. An EAP Failure is received prior to completion of the EAP method in
progress.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:33:47 -0800 (PST)

Here is what the Microsoft implementation does:

1. The EAP-Success packet is considered an invalid packet and is
dropped. Local state remains unaffected

2. If the packet is not as per the state requirements, the packet the
dropped. Local state remains unaffected

3. EAP-Failure will cause the state to go into HELD state. However, it
does not cause any local data deletion e.g. cleaning out of identity
locally, user data etc. If 3 valid failures are detected, the WLAN
connection will be put into a blocked state.