Subject: [eap] draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-00.txt (fwd)

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:26:12 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: State Machines for EAP Peer and Authenticators
	Author(s)	: J. Vollbrecht, D. Spence
	Filename	: draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2003-1-13

The specification for the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) [2]
does not include a state machine.  The EAP working group would like to
include a state machine for peer and authenticator.  This might be a
separate RFC describing the state machine, or it might be incorporated
in a revised EAP RFC.  There is at least one other Internet Draft that
has been submitted that describes a state machine for EAP.

This memo describes a state machine based on an EAP 'Switch' model. This
model includes an additional set of events and actions for the
interaction between the EAP Switch and EAP methods. A brief description
of the model is given in the next section.

The EAP design working group has discussed the EAP Switch model as a
way to describe EAP protocol interactions. This document is based on a
position paper discussed in the design group and discusions on
conference calls about the paper.

This document is still a work in progress.  In particular the handling
of integrity checks for the authenticator has not been worked out, and
more discussion is needed to get consensus on retransmission support.
There is still active discussion on how to mitigate potential Denial of
Service Attacks which will need to be integrated.  Finally, this does
not support being able to send and receive Notify method in the middle
of other methods, and this will be added in a future revision.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-vollbrecht-eap-state-00.txt".