Subject: [eap] editorial change - issue submission

From: [email-masked] (John Vollbrecht)
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:53:18 -0500

Issue:  Wording of some terminology
Submitter: John Vollbrecht - [email-masked]
Date: Feb 3, 2003
Document:draft-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-00a.txt
Comment: Editorial
Priority: 1
Section: 1.2

There are several change items described below.

---------------------------
Item 1: authenticator description
Rationale:

EAP is a peer to peer protocol, supporting methods that do mutual 
authentication as well as methods that authenticate the user or server 
alone.

suggested Change:

change-
authenticator
             The end of the link requiring the authentication. This
             terminology is also used in [IEEE.802-1X.2001], and has
             the same meaning in this document.
to-
authenticator
             The end of the EAP link initiating the EAP authentication
             methods. [Note: This terminology is also used in
             IEEE.802-1X.2001, and has the same meaning in this document].

---------------------------
Item 2: peer description
Rationale:
 same as above, plus I think it is unnecessary to give examples of the 
media in the peer.  If needed, perhaps a separate category could be created 
to describe the "link".  I personally don't think that is necessary.

suggested change:

change-
peer        The other end of the point-to-point link (PPP),
             point-to-point LAN segment (IEEE 802 wired media) or 802.11
             wireless link, which being authenticated by the
             authenticator. In [IEEE.802-1X.2001], this end is known as
             the Supplicant.
to-
peer        The end of the EAP Link that responds to the
            authenticator. [Note:In [IEEE.802-1X.2001], this end is known
            as the Supplicant.

---------------------------
Item 3: backend authentication server
Rationale:  the description is too wordy and implies that the backend 
server is required for EAP.

suggested change:

change-
backend authentication server
             A backend authentication server is an entity that provides
             an authentication service to an authenticator. This service
             verifies from the credentials provided by the peer, the
             claim of identity made by the peer. This terminology is
             also used in [IEEE.802-1X.2001].
to-
backend authentication server
             A backend authentication server is an entity that provides
             authentication service to an authenticator.  When used, this
             server typically executes EAP Methods for the authenticator.
             [This terminology is also used in [IEEE.802-1X.2001].

---

From: [email-masked] (Henrik Levkowetz)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:33:40 +0100

>From an editorial viewpoint, comments marked HENRIK: below

> There are several change items described below.

HENRIK: Makes sense to me.

HENRIK: Looks good to me.

HENRIK: Makes sense to me, except I'd say either             ... provides
		an authentication service ...       or       ... provides
		authentication services ... 
		
	Regards,
		Henrik

-- 

Henrik Levkowetz +46708321608 [email-masked] www.ipunplugged.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

  Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and
  holds the universe together.