Subject: [eap] editorial change - issue submission

From: [email-masked] (John Vollbrecht)
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:16:43 -0500

Issue:  Wording of some terminology
Submitter: John Vollbrecht - [email-masked]
Date: Feb 3, 2003
Document:draft-ietf-eap-rfc2284bis-00a.txt
Comment: Editorial
Priority: 1
Section: 1.2

There are several change items described below.
------------------------------
Item-a: EAP server description
Rationale:
The wording seems a bit confusing.

Suggested Change:
change-
EAP server
             The entity that terminates the EAP authentication with the
             peer.  In the case where there is no backend authentication
             server, this term refers to the authenticator. Where the
             authenticator operates in pass-through, it refers to the
             backend authentication server.
to-
EAP server
             The entity that supports EAP method exchanges with the
             peer.  This may be in the same device as the authenticator or 

             it may be in a backend authetication server.

------------------------------
Item-b: Silently discard description
Rationale:
Implementation suggestions should be marked as notes.  Probably should not 
be protocol SHOULDs

Suggested Change:
change-
   Silently Discard
             This means the implementation discards the packet without
             further processing.  The implementation SHOULD provide the
             capability of logging the event, including the contents of
             the silently discarded packet, and SHOULD record the event
             in a statistics counter.
to-
   Silently Discard
             This means the implementation discards the packet without
             further processing.
             [Note:  Good practice indicates that implementations should
             provide the capability of logging the event, including the
             contents of the silently discarded packet, and shouldrecord
             the event in a statistics counter.]

---

From: [email-masked] (Henrik Levkowetz)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:32:02 +0100

John,

	To me these look good. 

	Henrik

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 16:16:43 -0500, John Vollbrecht <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> eap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

		Henrik

-- 

Henrik Levkowetz +46708321608 [email-masked] www.ipunplugged.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

  "Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts." 
    -- J. Danforth Quayle