Subject: [eap] Issue: Changes Appendix

From: [email-masked] (Henrik Levkowetz)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 12:42:11 +0200

Submitter name: Henrik Levkowetz
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: April 25, 2003
Document: EAP-02.c
Comment type: E
Priority: S
Section: Appendix B
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Our appendix B (Changes from RFC 2284) is incomplete. Below is proposed
text for this section:

----
Appendix B. Changes from RFC 2284

   This section lists the major changes between [RFC2284] and this
   document. Minor changes, including style, grammar, spelling and
   editorial changes are not mentioned here.

   o  The Terminology section (Section 1.2) has been expanded, defining
      more concepts and giving more exact definitions.

   o  In Section 2, it is explicitly specified that more than one
      exchange of Request and Response packets may occur as part of the
      EAP authentication exchange. How this may and may not be used is
      specified in detail in Section 2.1.

   o  Also in Section 2, some requirements on the authenticator when
      acting in pass-through mode has been made explicit.

   o  An EAP multiplexing model (Section 2.2) has been added, to
      illustrate a typical implementation of EAP. There is no
      requirement that an implementation conforms to this model, as long
      as the on-the-wire behavior is consistent with it.

   o  As EAP is now in use with a variety of lower layers, not just PPP
      for which it was first designed, Section 3 on lower layer behavior
      has been added.

   o  In the description of the EAP Request and Response interaction
      (Section 4.1), it has been more exactly specified when packets
      should be silently discarded, and also the behavior on receiving
      duplicate requests. The implementation notes in this section has
      been substantially expanded.

   o  In Section 4.2, it has been clarified that Success and Failure
      packets must not contain additional data, and the implementation
      note has been expanded. A sub-section giving requirements on
      processing of success and failure packets has been added.

   o  Section 5 on EAP Request/Response Types lists two new type values:
      the Expanded type (Section 5.7), which is used to expand the type
      value number space, and the Experimental type. In the Expanded
      type number space, the new Expanded Nak (Section 5.3.2) type has
      been added. Clarifications have been made in the description of
      most of the existing types. Security claims summaries has been
      added for authentication methods.

   o  An IANA Considerations section (Section 6) has been added, giving
      registration policies for the numbering spaces defined for EAP.

   o  The Security Considerations (Section 7) have been greatly
      expanded, aiming at giving a much more comprehensive coverage of
      possible threaths and other security considerations.
----

	Henrik

-- 
  "For NASA, space is still a high priority." 
    -- J. Danforth Quayle, 9/5/90

---

From: [email-masked] (Jari Arkko)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:18:40 +0300

Looks very good, though I'm not sure this covers everything.
Perhaps we should go through the issue list and look at each
issue to figure out what technical changes have gone in to
the draft. What about sequences, lock-step, strictness,
Nak of identity, to mention a few -- or are some of these
covered in the bullet item about 4.1?

Anyway, I think the text you posted is good enough for -02.
A few nits below.

>    editorial changes are not mentioned here.

Might be an idea to separate functional changes from (major) document
changes such as the addition of IANA or security considerations sections.

>       note has been expanded. A sub-section giving requirements on

subsection?

>       added for authentication methods.

s/has/have/

>       possible threaths and other security considerations.

s/threaths/threats/

---

From: [email-masked] (Henrik Levkowetz)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:32:39 +0200

Thanks, Jari.

	Some comments inline.

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:18:40 +0300

> covered in the bullet item about 4.1?

Sequences and lock-step is covered in the second bullet. Nak of
identity is covered in the bullet about section 5, but very
invisibly ,:-).

I think it would be good to do a list of the technical changes
based on the issues, Yes.

> changes such as the addition of IANA or security considerations sections.

Ok. Next time 'round.

> >       note has been expanded. A sub-section giving requirements on

Fixed.

> >       added for authentication methods.

Fixed.

> >       possible threaths and other security considerations.

Fixed.

> 
> _______________________________________________
> eap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap

	Henrik

-- 
  "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." 
    -- J. Danforth Quayle