Subject: [eap] Proposed Resolution of Issue 80: Success Indications

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:42:08 -0700 (PDT)

Change the following text in Section 4.2 from:

"Implementation Note: Because the Success and Failure packets are
not acknowledged, the authenticator cannot know whether they have
been received. As a result, these packets are not retransmitted by
the authenticator, and if they are lost, the peer will timeout. If
acknowledged success and failure indications are desired, these
MAY be implemented within individual EAP methods."

To:

"Implementation Note: Because the Success and Failure packets are
not acknowledged, the authenticator cannot know whether they have
been received. As a result, these packets are not retransmitted by
the authenticator. If acknowledged success and failure indications
are desired, these MAY be implemented within individual EAP methods.
Since only a single EAP authentication method is supported within
an EAP conversation, a peer that successfully authenticates the
authenticator MAY, in the event that an EAP Success is not
received, conclude that the EAP Success packet was lost and
enable the link."