Subject: [eap] Re: deciding which NAI to send in an ID-RESPONSE

From: [email-masked] (Mark Watson)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:10:02 +0100

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C333DE.1BD96D3A
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

One small point & I think we are just about agreeing...
> 
> Existing stations have to be able to deal with multiple 
> physical APs, so
> they will also deal with multiple virtual APs that advertise with
> different BSSIDs -- since the two cases cannot be distinguished by the
> station.

Yes, but there is no way today for the station to learn the relationship
between SSID it can see and the NAI domains that will be accepted. So, any
solution to this will involve the client.

Since there is certainly a client impact (at least for clients which support
multiple NAI domains), then you might as well allow support of all the NAIs
domains on a single SSID, since this does not restrict the way WLAN
operators can use SSIDs - and as we know they already use different SSIDs
for various other purposes.

...Mark

------_=_NextPart_001_01C333DE.1BD96D3A
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version =
5.5.2656.31">
<TITLE>RE: [eap] Re: deciding which NAI to send in an =
ID-RESPONSE</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>One small point &amp; I think we are just about =
agreeing...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Existing stations have to be able to deal with =
multiple </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; physical APs, so</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; they will also deal with multiple virtual APs =
that advertise with</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; different BSSIDs -- since the two cases cannot =
be distinguished by the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; station.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yes, but there is no way today for the station to =
learn the relationship between SSID it can see and the NAI domains that =
will be accepted. So, any solution to this will involve the =
client.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Since there is certainly a client impact (at least =
for clients which support multiple NAI domains), then you might as well =
allow support of all the NAIs domains on a single SSID, since this does =
not restrict the way WLAN operators can use SSIDs - and as we know they =
already use different SSIDs for various other purposes.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>...Mark</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C333DE.1BD96D3A--

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 05:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

> solution to this will involve the client.

OK. Since there is no relationship between SSIDs and domains, it may not
be obvious what domain is appropriate given the SSID. For example, is it
obvious that SSID MSFTWLAN is expecting an NAI of [email-masked],
and that an NAI of [email-masked] won't be accepted? Not unless there
is preconfiguration or user intervention.  If this could be handled
automatically it would be better.

Note however that since we're talking about FQDNs, there may not be room
for a lot of them in the EAP-Request/Identity.