Subject: [eap] Re: AUPs

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

A few comments:

a) Since the AUP needs to be displayed regardless of the authentication
scheme chosen (open, WEP, WPA, RSN), it seems like this needs to occur
prior to EAP authentication. In the December 2002 NIST review, we
recommended addition of an Information Element in the Beacon and Probe
Response to handle this.

b) If it is desired to transmit a displayable message to the user,
the EAP-Request/Identity can be used for this purpose.

Given the above, a new method (or any protocol changes) seem unnecessary.

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Moskowitz)
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:10:15 -0400

>recommended addition of an Information Element in the Beacon and Probe

Having done AUPs back at Chrysler in the mid-90s (and so I kick myself on 
this too), it takes much more than a flag.

>the EAP-Request/Identity can be used for this purpose.

This is how I see it. Either here or in the EAPoL-Start.  Here it provides 
more functionality; AUP is then provided to all applications of EAP.

>Given the above, a new method (or any protocol changes) seem unnecessary.

Just some descriptive text about how to implement AUP in your EAP peers by 
its inclusion in the EAP-Req/Ident.

Robert Moskowitz
TruSecure Corporation
Security Interest EMail: [email-masked]