Subject: [eap] Issue 157: Order of attribute processing

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:21:54 -0700 (PDT)

Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: July 6, 2003
Reference:
Document: RFC 2869bis-22
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 2.6.4, 3, Appendix B
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Existing implementations process EAP-Message attributes first, and
changing the processing order will cause backward compatibility issues as
well as problems with operation of IEEE 802.11i.  If approved, this change
will be made in Author 48 hours, since the draft has already been approved
for publication as an RFC.

In Section 2.6.4, change:

"Reject or Access-Challenge, the NAS SHOULD process other attributes
first, then decapsulate EAP-Message attribute(s), reconstitute the EAP
packet and send it to the peer."

To:

"Reject or Access-Challenge, the NAS SHOULD first decapsulate EAP-Message
attribute(s), reconstitute the EAP packet and send it to the peer, then
process other attributes."

In Section 3 , change:

"difficult to manage."

To:

"difficult to manage. The User-Name attribute within the Access-Accept
packet need not be the same as the User-Name attribute in the Access-
Request."

In Appendix B , change:

"EAP-Message attributes are processed last (Section 2.6.4)."

To:

"EAP-Message attributes are processed first (Section 2.6.4)."