Subject: [eap] IETF protocol interoperability rules

From: [email-masked] (McCann, Stephen)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 08:33:14 +0100

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C341FB.25DE27BE
Content-Type: text/plain

Farooq,
    Hi.
 
Generally speaking the IETF does not (and cannot, I believe) hold interoperability tests.
Usually such events are organised by the members of a group, who mutually decide
to hold such an event and organise it between themselves. It is usually not sponsored
or supported by the IETF in any way.
 
I also understand that the use of the words "bak* o**" causes problems with trademarks,
and offends some minority communities, so they are usually referred to as interop tests/events.
 
I enclose a couple of examples of interop events for testing other protocols originally created
within the IETF; including one by ourselves which I organised (apologies for blatant advertisement).
 
rohc :
 
 <http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/rohc/rohc-bake.ppt> http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/rohc/rohc-bake.ppt
 
sctp :
 
http://pel.cis.udel.edu/interop/ <http://pel.cis.udel.edu/interop/> 
 
Additionally there are also organisations like ETSI in Europe which arrange Plug Tests for
any technical standard :
 
http://www.etsi.org/frameset/home.htm?/plugtests/home.htm <http://www.etsi.org/frameset/home.htm?/plugtests/home.htm> 
 
Kind regards
 
Stephen McCann
Siemens Roke Manor
Romsey
UK

-----Original Message-----
From: Bari, Farooq [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [eap] IETF protocol interoperability bake off rules

Hi,
 
This request is not directly related to EAP but I was wondering if any of the reader knows any documented IETF bake off rules/guidelines for protocol interoperability testing. I am assuming since such interoperability is part of standardization process, so some guidelines should exist. I searched IETF website but could not find any info on it.
 
regards
 
Farooq Bari
AT&T Wireless
Technology Architecture & Standards
 
+1 425 580 5526
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

------_=_NextPart_001_01C341FB.25DE27BE
Content-Type: text/html

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Farooq,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hi.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Generally speaking the IETF does not (and cannot, I 
believe) hold interoperability tests.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Usually such events are organised by the members of a 
group, who mutually decide</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>to 
hold such an event and organise it between themselves. It is usually not 
sponsored</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>or 
supported by the IETF in any way.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>I also 
understand that the use of the words "bak* o**" causes problems with 
trademarks,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>and 
offends some minority communities, </SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>so they are usually referred to as interop 
tests/events.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>I 
enclose a couple of examples of interop events for testing other protocols 
originally created</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>within 
the IETF; including one by ourselves </SPAN></FONT><FONT face=Arial 
color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>which I organised (apologies 
for blatant advertisement).</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=620590807-04072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>rohc 
:</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=620590807-04072003><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/rohc/rohc-bake.ppt"><FONT 
face=Arial><FONT 
size=2>http://www.dmn.tzi.org/ietf/rohc/rohc-bake.ppt</FONT></FONT></A></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>sctp 
:</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003><A 
href="http://pel.cis.udel.edu/interop/">http://pel.cis.udel.edu/interop/</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Additionally there are also organisations like ETSI in 
Europe which arrange Plug Tests for</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>any 
technical standard :</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003><A 
href="http://www.etsi.org/frameset/home.htm?/plugtests/home.htm">http://www.etsi.org/frameset/home.htm?/plugtests/home.htm</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN class=620590807-04072003>Kind 
regards</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Stephen McCann</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Siemens Roke Manor</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>Romsey</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN 
class=620590807-04072003>UK</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left><FONT 
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Bari, Farooq 
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, July 03, 2003 6:52 
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> [eap] IETF protocol 
  interoperability bake off rules<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=668184717-03072003><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2>Hi,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=668184717-03072003><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=668184717-03072003><FONT face=Arial size=2>This request is 
  not&nbsp;directly related to EAP but I was wondering if any of the reader 
  knows any documented&nbsp;IETF bake off rules/guidelines for protocol 
  interoperability&nbsp;testing. I am assuming since such interoperability is 
  part of standardization process, so some guidelines should exist. I searched 
  IETF website but could not find any info on it.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=668184717-03072003><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=668184717-03072003><FONT face=Arial 
  size=2>regards</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV align=left><FONT face="Monotype Corsiva">Farooq Bari</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV align=left><FONT face="Monotype Corsiva">AT&amp;T Wireless</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV align=left><FONT face="Monotype Corsiva">Technology Architecture &amp; 
  Standards</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV align=left><FONT face="Monotype Corsiva"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV align=left><FONT face="Monotype Corsiva">+1 425 580 5526</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV align=left><A href="mailto:[email-masked]"><FONT 
  face="Monotype Corsiva">[email-masked]</FONT></A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C341FB.25DE27BE--