Subject: [eap] EAPOL or EAPOW

From: "Ehsan Sakhaee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:18:07 +1000

What is the difference between a EAPOL and a EAPOW for a wireless 802.1x implementation?

---

From: "CONGDON,PAUL (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:28:15 -0400

No difference really.   The term EAPOW really doesn't officially exist in
any technical standard.  In reality, there are some minor differences in the
way EAPOL works on a wired network verses a wireless network.   Basically,
the main difference is that on wired networks you always use the group
address (i.e.multicast address) as the destination.  On wireless, once you
know each other's address (which occurs after association) you use the
individual address (i.e. unicast address) as the destination address.
 
Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Ehsan Sakhaee [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 4:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [eap] EAPOL or EAPOW

What is the difference between a EAPOL and a EAPOW for a wireless 802.1x
implementation?