Subject: [eap] Call for Journal Papers: Next Generation Mobile Security

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:41:49 -0700

Wireless Personal Communications special issue on:
     "Security for Next Generation Mobile Communications"

Guest Editors:    Anand Prasad, DoCoMo Comm. Labs. Europe GmbH
                  James Kempf, DoCoMo Comm. Labs. USA, Inc.

The special session on "Security for Next Generation Mobile Communications"
in
WPMC 2003 held in Yokosuka, Japan, received five high quality papers which
inspired the editors of the Kulwer journal to publish a special issue. This
call for papers requests researchers interested in publishing a high quality
paper in the field of next generation communications security for mobile
communications systems to contribute papers to the journal.

We are moving towards an era where "always-on" devices will provide
communication anywhere, anytime and any kind of service. The "always-on"
mobile device usage model faces new security issues. Long term secure
sessions
and simple security for multiple services challenge the current state of
security technology. In addition, the trend towards heterogeneous networks,
also known as "Beyond 3G" or B3G, integrates various heterogeneous access
network technologies underneath a common IP layer. The different access
network technologies have their own security requirements and mechanisms,
making the integration of multiple access technologies for simple network
access more challenging. In addition, many existing security protocols re-
implement common security operations at different layers of the stack. A
more
modularized  architecture,  allowing  common  operations  like  certificate
exchanged  to  be  reused,  would  simplify  many  protocols  and  reduce
implementation overhead. Finally, the trend toward software defined radio
may
require a new approach to security in order to accommodate dynamically
reconfigurable spectrum usage.

In this special issue our focus will be particularly on network layer
security
for next generation mobile networks. Possible topics are:

  . Modularized  security  architectures  and  implementations  for  reduced
    footprint,
  . Security issues related to mobility in heterogonous networks
  . Location privacy,
  . Opportunistic security,
  . Security for ad hoc networks,
  . Lightweight security infrastructure (ex. lightweight key distribution),
  . Bridging the divide between traditional AAA and e-commerce techniques
for
    authentication and authorization,
  . Security techniques for software defined radio and dynamic spectrum
usage.

More information about the journal, including formatting instructions,
 can be found at:

http://www.kluweronline.com/issn/0929-6212

Important dates:
   Submission of manuscripts : 1 December 2003
   Notification of acceptance : 1 March 2004
   Final Manuscripts Due : 1 April 2004
   Publication of Feature Topic   : second half 2004

Submissions should be sent to one of the guest editors:

Anand R. Prasad                   Dr. James Kempf
DoCoMo Comm. Labs. Europe GmbH    DoCoMo Comm. Labs. USA, Inc.
Landsberger strasse 308-312       181 Metro Drive, Suite 300
80687 Munich                      San Jose, CA 95110
Germany                           USA
E-mail: [email-masked] E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap