Subject: New Congestion Manager draft

From: Hari Balakrishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:17:56 -0500

Please find attached the new CM I-D taking all the comments from the DC IETF 
into account.  Most of the changes relate to wordsmithing and to fixing small 
bugs.  No serious changes from the previous version.

The group charter says that two documents are due for proposed standard status:

1. A conformant CM congestion manager.  (presumably by this is meant the 
behavior of the congestion *controller*, how it obtains feedback, and what it 
does with the feedback)

2. An abstract API description.

Srini and I thought a lot about it and decided to leave it as one.  The reason 
is that item 1 by itself doesn't have that much meat in it.  The reason is that 
the behavior of the congestion controller is governed by TCP-compatibility (cf 
Sally's draft), how it obtains feedback is detailed in the API as it is an API 
issue, and what it does internally with the feedback is not really specifiable 
(anything that maintains tcp-compatibility is pretty much OK).

The congestion controller also exports a standard internal API to a scheduler,  
and while that is important, there isn't all that much to write about it (less 
than a page).

Comments?

Thanks,
Hari