Subject: ECM WG last call for draft-floyd-cong-01.txt as BCP

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 01:56:18 PST

This is a working group last call for publishing draft-floyd-cong-01.txt
as a BCP.  The last call will expire Saturday, March 25, though if there's
a discussion thread going on at that time, the last call will be extended
to a week beyond the end of the Adelaide IETF meeting.

Please give the document a final check and send along any comments
you have.

	Thanks,

		Vern

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:44:50 -0500

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 01:56:18AM -0800, Vern Paxson wrote:
> as a BCP...

   The document looks just fine, but I don't see how we can call it a BCP.
It really doesn't describe any "practice".

   Granted, the BCP process is vague: (quoting BCP 1):
] 
] The BCP process is similar to that for proposed standards. The
] BCP is submitted to the IESG for review, and the existing
] review process applies, including a "last call" on the IETF
] announcement mailing list. However, once the IESG has approved
] the document, the process ends and the document is published.
] The resulting document is viewed as having the technical
] approval of the IETF, but it is not, and cannot become an
] official Internet Standard.

   BCPs, in my experience, have been a temporary terminal point: we
know a problem exists; we don't feel any progress is imminent; and
we want to publish how we deal with it, because that way seems "good
enough".

   Granted, we're all busy, but it seems really premature (IMHO) to
say no progress on congestion management is expected. I think we
should continue on towards an Internet Standard; and publish this
as an informational RFC.

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>