Subject: summary for ECM

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 00:17:27 PDT

ECM met Monday afternoon with about 170 people in attendance.  The chair
reviewed the status of the documents: congestion control principles is done
and in the RFC editor's queue; the CM abstract API has been through last
call, but the chair's request for WG members to state approval of the
document yielded almost no response, so the document needs further
discussion to attain consensus; the chair proposes that the separate
document on correct congestion manager behavior is perhaps not needed,
since draft-ietf-ecm-cm-01.txt already includes such discussion; and work
has yet to begin on the document giving examples of possible schedulers.

The bulk of the meeting was CM overview and discussion of pending issues
led by Hari Balakrishnan.  A number of issues were discussed, including the
granularity of sharing, the coupling of information between the congestion
controller and the schedulers, including variances in estimates provided by
the CM, deployment motivations, how to retransmit when the loss leading to
retransmission has cut cwnd to below the amount of outstanding data,
handling of duplicate acknowledgements, and whether the abstract API should
allow for sending multiple packets at one time.

The chair proposed that with some document edits and resolution of the
multiple packets issue via mailing list discussion, that the document would
then be last-called once again, this time with a presumption of WG approval
of the document once the last call completes.  There was good WG support
for this proposal.

The meeting ended with a request from the chair for volunteers to work on
the examples-of-schedulers document.