Subject: WG last call for draft-ietf-ecm-cm-02.txt as Proposed Standard

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:11:00 PDT

I'd like to begin a 2-week last call for publishing draft-ietf-ecm-cm-02.txt
as Proposed.  It looks to me that for the most part version -02 of the
document addresses the points framed during the last IETF as the necessary
work before we could last call it (again).

Two of the points haven't been addressed.  The first deals with whether to
include opaque data with the call to cm_open().  Hari outlined in his note
of 15Oct00 why he and Srini think this should not be included.  No one has
commented further.  (Personally, I buy their argument.)

The second deals with the interface for sending multiple packets.  Joe
still disagrees with the arguments put forth that the interface is unneeded,
so this issue remains alive.  My own leaning is towards the simpler interface,
with a view that (1) particular CM implementations can also provide the
richer interface, and (2) if experience with these implementations proves
that the richer interface is a significant win, then there is still time
to change the interface when the document advances to Draft.  In any case,
let's see if we can achieve rough consensus for this issue during the last
call period.

The last call will expire November 7.

		Vern