Subject: Congestion Manager code release (alpha code for Linux)

From: Hari Balakrishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:35:47 -0400

This note is to announce the alpha release of Version 1 of the
Congestion Manager (CM) software for Linux.  This code is available
under a GPL license (and an MIT copyright) from
http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/software/CM/

Q: What is the CM?

A: The CM is an end-system module that: 

   (i) Enables an ensemble of multiple concurrent streams from a
   sender destined to the same receiver and sharing the same
   congestion properties to perform proper congestion avoidance and
   control.  It is independent of particular transport or application
   protocols, and unifies congestion control for an ensemble of flows.

   (ii) Allows applications to easily adapt to network congestion by
   providing a platform-independent adaptation API.

Q: Where can I learn more about it?

A: http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/projects/cm/ has more information, including a
   paper or two, including an evolving Internet draft of the IETF ECM
   working group (http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ecm-charter.html).
   http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/draft-ietf-ecm-cm-02.txt has the
   current version of this draft.

   [email-masked] is the mailing list of the ECM WG (to subscribe, send
   a request to the majordomo at [email-masked]).  It is
   perhaps best if discussions about this software and ECM happen on
   that list, rather than on both ecm and end2end-interest.

Q: What does this code release contain?

A: A distribution for Linux (2.2.9), an adaptation API library, and a
   few sample applications.  The kernel includes a TCP that
   exclusively uses the CM for congestion control (for a
   per-destination connection ensemble).  Several simple user-level
   applications, including some ALF-based ones, are included.  

   Yes, somewhat surprisingly, it also includes some reasonable
   documentation, which we hope (perhaps wrongly) will be useful!

Please send any bugs reports/fixes, feedback, comments, suggestions,
code contributions, etc. on the CM software to [email-masked]

Thanks,
Hari
(for the CM dev team)