Subject: RE: [Sipping-emergency] Re: [Sipping-emergency] draft-schulzrinne-sipping-emergency-req-00

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:54:03 -0500

Henning,

>"In last-mile access, an ECC replaces an analog (CAMA) or 
>digital (ISDN) 
>trunk with packet-based access,
>typically over one or more high-speed access lines such as DSL 
>or leased 
>lines."
>
>Suggestions on how to make this clearer are welcome.

I believe it isn't as clear because it disorients the reader.  The last mile
(reader is thinking from the perspective of being the client) has
packet-based access (access puts the reader in the perspective of being on
the "server" side).

I can't completely re-word it as I'm not totally clear what you are trying
to say but I'll take a shot at it.

"In the last mile situation, instead of calls being terminated by analog
(CAMA) or digital (ISDN) trunks, they are terminated by high-speed DSL or
leased line packet-based solutions."  

Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Sipping-emergency mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping-emergency

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:05:57 -0500

Maybe we're getting closer to the source of the confusion... During the 
teleconference, I had associated 'last-mile' with the recently-completed 
NENA effort, which only deals with what section 4 describes. Since it's 
the last mile before reaching the PSAP/ECC, I used that term. Maybe 
others were thinking of what I'd consider 'first-mile', i.e., from a 
VoIP phone to a PSTN gateway?

That might explain a few of the rounds of discussion... Jon, Allison: 
where's first and last? :-)