Subject: [Sipping-emergency] rosen-dns-sos, update and call for discussion

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:44:30 -0400

<note this message is addressed to two groups, the ietf sipping
emergency list and the nena-ltd list.  There is some overlap of
these lists, so some of you will get two copies.  Both lists are
closed lists, so it's a little hard to carry this discussion on
one list>

If you haven't read draft-rosen-dns-sos-00, please do so.

I have had a number of conversations with DNS knowledgeable people
who have raised significant objections to some of the proposal,
and we have reached a compromise which I will be describing in
a subsequent update of that document.  The essence of the
compromise is to move portions of the data that was proposed
to be in the DNS to an HTTP server, in xml form, and supply
a pointer to that data in the DNS entry.  The data proposed to
be moved is:
	The POLY information (polygon representing the border of the
	element)

	An enumeration of all the lower levels at a node, to facilitate
	searching

	information that requires access security (interior of a building
	being the most obvious candidate)

The basic structure of the proposal remains - a tree proposed to be
at sos.arpa, delegation to countries, and hierarchical levels roughly
matching the levels in a civil address, down to room level, pointers
to services responding to that location, etc.

There will also be the following additions:
	Postal addresses, with cross links between dispatch locations
	and postal addresses, allowing conversion.  This allows users
	to view the address in a form which he may be more familiar.
	(My home is an example; the postal address is in Mars, which is
	in Butler County, but my house is in Pine, which is in Allegheny
	County)

	Mechanisms to support street prefixes and postfixes (North, NW,
	Avenue/Street).  These will be separator conventions, such as
	fulton_nw).

I'd like to open a wider discussion on this proposal, and solicit
input on what other changes I should consider in this second version.

Brian

_______________________________________________
Sipping-emergency mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping-emergency