Subject: [Ecrit] EC mandate M/493 (fwd)

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:02:31 -0700

http://www.112.be/ressource/static/files/m493_en.pdf

>From page two:

For the telephone service provided by traditional circuit switched networks, mobile
networks and IP-based networks the determination and conveyance of location
information of emergency callers is not sufficiently standardized, hampering progress at
national level (i.e. use of proprietary technical solutions). European standards do not
provide complete architectural models and do not specify all protocol elements needed to
support location enhanced emergency calling on existing infrastructures and future
networks. Hence, implementable solutions are not readily available but required in
Member States.

The lack of commonly agreed specifications and standards in support of the processing
of caller location information in electronic communications networks for the purpose of
the location enhanced emergency call service in Europe is a barrier for implementing
future proof solutions which fulfil the requirements of article 26 of the amended
Directive 2002/22/EC. The objective of this Mandate is to stimulate further
standardisation work in this field to support harmonized European solutions also with
regard to cost effective implementations.