Subject: Re: [Ecrit] FW: SWATting

From: "Paling, Patrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:47:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Would be intrested in finding out more on this Swatting issue. If there are 
Skype users someway making nuisance calls then we can try to help out in 
blocking these calls, if we recieve relevant info about this. We usually 
recieve reports of Skype Onlinenumbers  reported to us through Level 3, and 
these numbers are associated with somekind of scams.

With prank calls, we normally ask which number  has been recieveing these 
calls , also date and time of these calls, additionally if there is any 
other information about the caller that the prankcall receiver knows of.

And feel free to loop in your contact person from Level 3 aswell.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Patrick Paling

Fraud Investigator | Skype

Email:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

Skype Name: patrick16paling

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Delaine Arnold ENP" <[email-masked]>

Date: July 26, 2011 8:50:31 PM EDT

To: <[email-masked]>

Subject: Re: [Ecrit] SWATting

I was on a NENA conference call earlier today and a gentleman from

Montgomery County, PA, was telling us about some major SKYPE phone

swatting

issues going on across the US.  PSAPs are being called, linked together

and

then loud party noises and music are being played.  If the calltaker

hangs

up, within 2-3 minutes they get another call with the same noise - it

ties

up their lines.  They have finally assigned one calltaker to just answer

these and let them play themselves out.  They have been working with

Level 3

who supposedly provides the IP service for SKYPE.  If you need more

information, I can provide the person's name and contact info.

Thank you,

Delaine

---------------------------------------

Delaine M. Arnold, ENP

Chair, NENA Data Technical Committee

Voice:  813-960-1698

Cell:     813-928-1692

Email:  [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf

Of

Thomson, Martin

Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:37 PM

To: Henning Schulzrinne; Richard L. Barnes

Cc: [email-masked] Org

Subject: Re: [Ecrit] SWATting

On 2011-07-26 at 14:12:30, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:

You would also have to provide a fake credit card, as I suspect none

of the E911 interconnected VoIP providers provide free service. Plus,

you'd probably also would need to use a non-traceable IP address, such

as a coffee shop WiFi AP.

It is possible to buy a pre-paid credit card with which to purchase a

service.  Such a card is indistinguishable from the real thing, but it

requires no authentication.

For something like this, it would depend on whether the name on the card

matters to the service, but I suspect that it would not to many.

Capacity

to pay tends to be the primary characteristic that is sought by

operators.

--Martin

_______________________________________________

Ecrit mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

_______________________________________________

Ecrit mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit