Subject: [Ecrit] ECRIT Direct

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 23:14:17 +0300

Hi Richard, Hi Brian, 

I would like to bring this old document back into the discussion since it is relevant IMHO.
In a slightly modified form it provides the features we want as well. 

Here is the doc: 
https://raw.github.com/hannestschofenig/tschofenig-ids/master/ecrit-direct/draft-winterbottom-ecrit-direct-02.txt

What do you guys think? 

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:15:52 -0400

I think it's a terrible idea to require an access network to operate a SIP proxy server.

It's one thing to force it to supply location.

It's quite another to force it to be in the call path of an emergency call.

It works, technically, with all the limitations of VPNs and other things that totally screw up all of this stuff if you aren't really careful.  For example, does the ISP have to serve a call for which it is not the ISP because some VPN is in the path?

How about an enterprise?

It's just a bad idea in my opinion.

Brian

On Jul 10, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ecrit mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:57:50 -0700

Have to agree with Brian on this. 

>From a practical point of view, if the access network isn't already a VoIP
provider, then you are asking them to provide services in an area in which
they have no experience, where there are lives at stake.  I doubt that
access network providers (such as hotspots) will be enthusiastic about this,
to put it mildly. 

If the access network is already a VoIP provider, then they already need to
provide emergency services for their own customers, so they won't see the
need. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Brian Rosen
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:16 PM
To: Hannes Tschofenig
Cc: [email-masked] Org
Subject: Re: [Ecrit] ECRIT Direct

I think it's a terrible idea to require an access network to operate a SIP
proxy server.

It works, technically, with all the limitations of VPNs and other things
that totally screw up all of this stuff if you aren't really careful.  For
example, does the ISP have to serve a call for which it is not the ISP
because some VPN is in the path?

How about an enterprise?

Brian

> In a slightly modified form it provides the features we want as well. 
https://raw.github.com/hannestschofenig/tschofenig-ids/master/ecrit-direct/d
raft-winterbottom-ecrit-direct-02.txt