Subject: [Ecrit] Rough location vs. HELD extension for Germany and ETSI

From: Laura Liess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 00:13:09 +0200

Hi,

The rough location proposal is not usefull for Germany, because a VSP
as Skype will not find any local LOST to query. There will be no LOST
infrastructure publicaly available because there is nobody there to
provide it.

 On the other side, every ISP will either have its own ESRP or have
some partner ESRP in the same jurisdiction with an ESRP which  will
dereference the location reference, find out the local PSAP using an
internal LOST  and route the call to the PSAP.  All that is needed is
a HELD extenssion to return the ESRP URI to the VSP. It's simple, it
works, the ESRP and the LIS have a security relationship, so no
security problem. Everybody is happy.

Maybe there are other countries where the rough location is the way to
go. So why not continue with both proposals?

Thanks
Laura

---

From: Marc Linsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:38:41 -0400

Laura,

This brings up 2 questions:

1) What happens when a UA 'roams' into Germany using a VSP located outside
of Germany?

2) You state "every ISP will either have its own ESRP or have some partner
ESRP".  Does this include free WiFi hotspot providers (like Starbucks,
McDonalds, etc.)?

Thanks,

-Marc-

-----Original Message-----
From: Laura Liess <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:13 PM
To: Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>, Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>,
<[email-masked]>
Subject: [Ecrit] Rough location vs. HELD extension for Germany and ETSI

>_______________________________________________
>Ecrit mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

---

From: Laura Liess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:29:11 +0200

Hi Mark,

Please see inline.

> 1) What happens when a UA 'roams' into Germany using a VSP located outside

The VSP detects the UA's IP-address, queries the reverse DNS/DNS and
finds out ISP's domain and the LIS. Then the VSP sends a HELD query to
the LIS. The LIS responds with the LybR and ESRP URI.  The VSP sends
the INVITE including the LybR to the ESRP. ESRP dereferences the LybR
using a secure connection with mutual authentication to the LIS,
queries its own internal LOST to find out the local PSAP and sends the
call to the PSAP.

> ESRP".  Does this include free WiFi hotspot providers (like Starbucks,

Small ISPs get Internet access from one of the big carrier as DT or
Vodafone. The big carriers will provide the ESRPs,each for the ISPs
which are its own customers.  So, if Starbucks has connectivity from
DT, it will use DT's ESRP. (We already agreed on this with the
regulator.)  Starbucks has to run a LIS and return sip:esrp.telekom.de
(this means Starbucks has a very trivial LOST table with one entry).
esrp.telekom.de has a https connection to the Starbucks LIS to
dereference the LybR.

Thank you
Laura

---

From: Marc Linsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 20:21:52 -0400

Laura,

>queries its own internal LOST to find out the local PSAP and sends the

I was thinking about the case where a UA from another country, like the
USA, roams into Germany and uses a VSP that is not part of the German
domain of VSPs?  (not part of the German domain of VSPs = doesn't
understand the unique German procedure(s))

Thanks,

-Marc-