Subject: [Ecrit] comments on ecrit-ecall-06

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 13:11:28 -0700

- The draft proposes a new URI which is not an SOS URI, meaning that 
emergency calls from vehicles won't look like other emergency calls. 
Specifically,  'urn:service:ecall' and the ':manual' and ':automatic" 
children of these for when it's known.  Other emergency calls use 
'urn:service:sos' with many possible children such as ":police" and 
":fire" for when these are known.  I think eCall calls should be 
under the 'sos' URN, so such calls can be routed identically as other 
emergency calls by the VSP.  The ESInet or PSAP can then route 
specially based on eCall support.

- The draft puts the burden on the VSP to route eCall properly.  If, 
instead, a 'sos' URN is used, the VSP can process the call exactly as 
any other emergency call, and leave it to the ESInet and PSAP to 
handle it specially.

-  Current text says this provides "notification" to the PSAP that a 
vehicle has crashed, with a voice channel as secondary intent.  I'd 
suggest that this be reversed -- the primary goal is a voice channel 
to the PSAP, with crash data.  If there is no expectation of a voice 
channel, this is a "non-human-associated" (a/k/a "data-only") 
emergency call and handled per that draft.

- The draft proposes using caller preferences, such as 
'Accept-Language' as a hint as to which language the caller speaks, 
so the ESInet or PSAP can route or bridge in a translator.  I think a 
per-media SDP parameter containing an IANA language tag makes more 
sense, since that allows the specific language, including any form of 
sign language, to be specified per media stream (these already exist 
in the registry).  One possibility is to extend the RFC 4796 
established 'content' registry to contain a 'language' attribute, but 
a new SDP parameter that is explicitly part of SDP offer-answer might 
be better; I am not sure which is optimal here, but I think whatever 
it is needs to be per-media and in SDP.

- We need to allow for different name spaces of crash data, since it 
is not yet clear if there is to be one global or one per-region or 
one minimal global plus region-specific supplement sets of data.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
One's need for loneliness is not satisfied if one sits at a table alone.
There must be empty chairs as well.                        --Karl Kraus