Subject: Re: [Ecrit] WGLC - Data-Only Emergency Calls

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 10:26:31 -0800

At 9:04 AM -0500 11/30/12, Brian Rosen wrote:

>  There are many situations where there is one, and only one message 
> from device to PSAP.  There is no dialog and no media.  That's what 
> started the entire draft.  We are now dealing with the case where 
> there are updates to the data, and we're trying to make sure that 
> if there is media AND data, that the data looks pretty much the 
> same (i.e. a CAP message)

When this draft started, it was simple, clear, and straightforward: 
automated sensor systems create alerts that in some cases need to be 
routed to a PSAP; the draft specified how to do so.  There was no 
expectation of interactive media because the sensors were things like 
fire alarms, earthquake alerts, etc.

Then a case was brought up where the sensors had updates.  It was 
stated at the time that this was expected to be very rare, that the 
vast majority of cases were simple one-shot alerts.

Now we're talking about hybrid interactive systems with streams of 
alert updates and interactive media.

I suggest we do one of two things: either go back to the original 
draft, which from my understanding of what's been stated would cover 
the vast majority of expected cases.  We can advance that, see how it 
goes, and then add to it later if needed.  Or, if we really can't 
advance the draft without solving the additional use cases, let's 
pull the draft out of WGLC, add text to adequately describe the new 
use cases and their resulting requirements, analyze what is different 
between these cases and the conventional interactive person-placed 
emergency call, and then look at what protocol design is needed.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
For best results, be sure to double clutch when you paradigm shift.