Subject: [Ecrit] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-22: (with COMMENT)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 06:51:17 -0800

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash-22: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ecrit-car-crash/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A phone call that can unlock the doors and turn on an in-car
camera. What could possibly go wrong? I think the security
considerations ought warn more specifically about the
consequences of these options.  This is not a discuss as I
assume that these features are required by US regulators, and
so cannot be removed.  If they were under IETF control, I'd
want to DISCUSS removing them entirely as I suspect that the
overall cost/benefit of these features would imply we'd be
better off without them.

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 19:15:55 -0800

Hi Stephen,

I added additional text to the Security Considerations pointing out 
that some actions are riskier than others, and reiterating that 
vehicles can decline requests for whatever reason, and mentioning 
some potential policy choices.  Note that the existing text already 
pointed out that vehicles could refuse a request if it wasn't signed 
by an acceptable emergency services certificate.

At 6:51 AM -0800 1/19/17, Stephen Farrell wrote:

>  _______________________________________________
>  Ecrit mailing list
>  [email-masked]
>  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
    --Joe Ancis