Subject: [Enum] New ENUM WG and mailing list

From: Scott Petrack <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 13:08:44 -0500 (EST)

ENUM (tElephone NUmber Mapping) has been chartered by the IESG as a WG. 
The description is as follows:

This working group will define a DNS-based architecture and protocols for
mapping a telephone number to a set of attributes (e.g. URLs) which can be
used to contact a resource associated with that number. 

The charter can be read at:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/enum-charter.html

A new ENUM mailing list has been set up, and is as of now the official
mailing list of the ENUM WG. The address is [email-masked]; to subscribe,
send mail to [email-masked]. The archive is at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/enum/ 

The e164-to-ip list remains the place for more general discussion of
things; the ENUM list is for the more restricted DNS-based work of ENUM.

You will NOT automatically be transferred from the e164-to-ip list to the
ENUM list, so please do this yourself.

The first WG meeting is scheduled for Monday in Washington. 

For people who were not involved when the WG was formed, it may be helpful
for me to state that this WG is restricted to a DNS-based solution. It is
not that other solutions are not possible or interesting to the IETF --
they are. But THIS working group is chartered to find out the
best possible DNS-based solution. It is certainly an important part of our
work to discover the limitations of DNS-based solutions (should there be
any ;-)). But solutions that are based on other architectures (IETF or
otherwise) are not within our scope.

We have lots of work to do, and very interesting work it is too. I am
looking forward to it, and hope you are too.

Scott

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum