Subject: [Enum] ENUM Requirements

From: James Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 02:32:08 -0600

NeuStar suggests to revise sectoins 3.7 and 3.9 (see proposed texts below)
and clarify 3.11 in draft-ietf-enum-rqmts-00.

3.7 Number Portability

The system MUST support existing local number portability mechanisms that
allow the subscribers to keep their phone numbers when switching from one
local access service provider to another, where applicable. It is
RECOMMENDED that the system not be designed in such a way as to impede
future number portability that allows the subscribers to keep their phone
numbers when moving from one physical location to another or changing their
subscribed services. The system SHOULD be designed to meet the requirements
set by the regulatory bodies.

3.9 Query Performance

The system is not expected to respond to queries with the same performance
levels as current PSTN queries; however, the DNS process SHOULD not
significantly increase the post dialing delay as percieved by the caller or
specified by the regulatory bodies. 

Please clarify "the owner of the telephone number" in Section 3.11. Is it
the subscriber that is assigned the telephone number or the service provider
that currently serves that number?

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Albert Manfredi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:16:17 -0500

Related to number portability, without answering the specific
question, I would say that portable numbers _do_ make sense in the
name field of the DNS. Because a portable number is nothing but an
arbitrary ID, identical in concept to an Internet name.

The portable number is mapped to a "real" number, hierarchical and
used for routing, just like an IP name is mapped to an IP address.

So in my view, one possible way to support portable "telephone
numbers" is to map that arbitrary number to a "real" telephone
number (possibly in the AESA field), an IP address, or both.

To support mobile users, the DNS is not fast enough to track the MS.
In that case, the portable number could point to the "real"
telephone number of the _home server_, which in turn is keeping
track of the MS (via updates from the foreign agents).

Or, of course, one could imagine a real-time DNS, where the
databases are kept synchronized via satellite, but that's a whole
other program.

[email-masked]