Subject: [Enum] First Call Announcement on Geneva Workshop Jan 25-27, 2000

From: "Shaw, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:39:08 +0100

Here is the first call announcement on the Workshop 
"IP and Telecoms Interworking Workshop: Focus on 
Numbering, Naming, Addressing and Routing Issues" 
planned for Jan 25-27, 2000 at ITU in Geneva.

Scott, I'll assume that you'll forward this onto the
relevant IESG/IAB folks or WGs. Note that we would like 
for an IETF relevant expert to co-chair the meeting which
I would assume should be coordinated through you as our 
official liaison.

Bob
--
Robert Shaw <[email-masked]>
ITU Internet Strategy and Policy Advisor
International Telecommunication Union <http://www.itu.int>
Place des Nations, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear All,

1.	Background

At its recent meeting, 25-29 October 1999, the  International 
Telecommunication Union's (ITU) Telecommunication Standardization 
Advisory Group (TSAG) endorsed a proposal presented by ITU-T 
Working Party 1/2 (Numbering, Routing, Global Mobility) from its 
Stockholm meeting (22-29 September 1999) that the ITU host a 
Workshop titled:

"IP and Telecoms Interworking Workshop: Focus on Numbering, Naming, 
Addressing and Routing Issues".

The goal of the workshop is for all involved technical fora to 
identify interworking issues, from their unique perspective, solely 
with regard to Numbering, Naming, Addressing, and Routing, so that 
a joint work plan can be developed for timely and complete issue 
resolution.

This Workshop is scheduled to take place at ITU Headquarters in 
Geneva, 25-27 January 2000.

2.	Mr. Roy Blane, the Vice-Chairman of ITU-T Study Group 2 and 
Chairman of Working Party 1/2, has recently undergone surgery, so 
is unable to continue with the preparations for this Workshop, for 
which he was one of the instigators and the driving force.  However, 
it is hoped that Mr. Blane will recover in time to take an active 
part in the Workshop itself.

The Workshop will be managed by two co-moderators: Mr. Fred Gaechter, 
Rapporteur of ITU-T Q1/2 (Numbering, Naming and Addressing) and 
[IETF, Title]. (To be decided)?

As a result of the positive support of a number of Study Group 2 members, 
both in person (thanks Andy and Mark) and via email, and thanks to the 
collaboration of Mr. Robert Shaw of the ITU Strategic Planning Unit, 
we have developed a preliminary draft work plan, which we submit for 
your comments, as follows:

Day 1, 25 January

- Welcome, Keynote addresses (IETF and ITU-T)
- Terms of reference: focus on Numbering, Naming, Addressing and Routing 
  (NNAR)
- Relevant NNAR elements of ITU-T 
- Relevant NNAR elements of IETF
- Relevant NNAR elements of other related organizations (Please help
identify 
any such additional and appropriate organizations).

Day 2, 26 January

- IETF technical issues (within scope of NNAR) 
- ITU-T technical issues (within scope of NNAR)
- Other organizations' technical issues (within scope of NNAR)
- Drafting Groups issues' identification, definition, and timeline
- Joint issue prioritization

Day 3, 27 January

- Proposals for allocating the work
- Schedules, work plans and progress tracking
- Next steps to ensure appropriate conclusions
- Review of Workshop output

3.1	Mr. Andy Gallant, in collaboration with Mr. Gaechter, are in the 
process of preparing a more detailed agenda based on the above work plan 
structure and taking into account  the comments received from Study Group 2 
members.  However, this agenda cannot be fleshed out until we receive 
some feedback from both the IETF and ITU-T communities, (specifically, 
from experts in numbering, naming, addressing and routing) as to their 
availability as presenters and their intention to participate in the
Workshop.

3.2	We envisage two keynote addresses, one each from the IETF and ITU-T 
sides. 

3.3	We also envisage a handful of presenters from the IETF, ITU-T, and 
other pertinent organizations, focusing on the technical issues of NNAR, as 
well as active participation from 30-40 technical experts, and a number of 
observers.

3.4	Accordingly, we kindly invite you to respond by Friday, 17 December
1999 
if you are willing to be a presenter, an active participant or observer at
this 
Workshop. We also solicit comments on the Seminar's scope, goal and draft
agenda. 
Responses should be sent to John Tar at:

	[email-masked]

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone you think would be
interested 
and willing to contribute material to, or take active part in the Workshop.

Based on your responses, a detailed agenda will then be issued, which will 
accompany the Final Call Notice to be dispatched before the end of December.

Upon request, a preliminary draft agenda can be sent to you in advance.

Thank you, in anticipation of your cooperation.

Zoltan J. Tar
Head, Deptartment TSB/SAO and Counsellor, ITU-T Study Group 2

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum