Subject: [Enum] Other implications of enum

From: "Albert Manfredi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 12:26:59 -0500

By the way, I wanted to add that if this issue of incorporating
E.164 numbers within the DNS is accomplished right, it could have
implications on other aspects of IP -- such as IP over ATM.

Let's just consider for a moment that my suggestion is used, i.e.
that the E.164 number is provided within the AESA field of the DNS
(the structure of DNS therefore being IP name/IPaddress/AESA). _If_
this is the case, then potentially that solution would also help in
finding a shortcut through an ATM infrastructure to that host. This
is a subject of interest to the ION WG.

An IP host might be ATM-connected, with a telephone number, an ATM
address, _and_ an IP address. If a DNS query returns the IP address
as well as any other AESA that might apply, RFC 2332 (Next Hop
Resolution Protocol) could be improved. To establish a shortcut, the
source could first try a direct ATM VC to the destination's ATM
address, before going through the IP routing routine described in
RFC 2332.

No guarantee that this first attempt will work, though, because the
likelihood is that the ATM network of the destination is not
contiguous with the ATM network of the source. But between routers
sharing the same ATM infrastructure, this would be pretty slick. And
if telcos deploy ATM more universally, the payoff would be good.

Bert
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum